Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
Well you guys have confirmed my suspicions. I used to drive 30' sprit rigged cat ketches around Maine for Outward Bound. They didn't have an auxiliary, and I never had any trouble if I used proper planning. But I agree that the current will become an issue if I encounter it with any regularity.

I really don't like outboards are engines at all and I've always had more problems with them than with the rest of the boat combined. Do y'all think something like this: torqeedo: Produktbeschreibung will provide enough power for my Triton?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2009

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Look at it this way. Lots of sailboats get into trouble in that area WITH engines. Combine VERY strong currents with the fact that they do not always flow along the channels and you have a prescription for trouble.
Old 03-29-2009

t22cayuga is on a distinguished road
Do you know which harbor the mooring is in? Getting in and out of your harbor safely may be a bigger issue than Woods Hole itself. Woods Hole is a narrow passage between Buzzards Bay and Vineyard Sound. You could daysail all summer without ever needing to go through it. I wouldn't want to go through it engineless but there is a fleet of Cape Cod Knockabouts in Great Harbor that sail through there regularly. I think an outboard would be a great investment in your summer though. A mooring in the area is a valuable thing.
Old 03-29-2009

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
The mooring is in Great Harbor.
Old 03-29-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Redstripe,
While I am not familiar with the torqeedo electric motor you mentioned it sounds as if it has enough power. The problem with an electric motor though is not the motor itself but rather the battery bank you will need to make it work. Since you will be on a mooring AND will have no alternator to charge the battery bank you may need to get some serious solar panels to keep the batteries charged up (yes, I would get 2 grp 27 batteries for this). Once you start adding up the cost for all this a 'dependable' outboard starts sounding pretty good. At least with an outboard you can motor as long as you have fuel and if you run out someone can give you a gallon or 2 in an emergency. With an electric motor you will only be able to motor as far as there is enough juice in the batteries. Batteries also loose their charging power as they are depleted and recharged each time so your available motoring time would always be on the decrease.
For aesthetic reasons I too would prefer not to have an outboard but for practical reasons it makes sense.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2009

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Getting from Great Harbor into Vineyard Sound should be do-able without a motor. It is the passage into Buzzards Bay that is troublesome. In any case it will require good local knowledge and you better have your towing insurance paid up while you are learning the local situation.
Old 03-29-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
After pricing the Torqeedo engine I would gladly opt for the gaseous devil known as an outboard. Around $1700 at Worst Marine for just the engine!
You would still need a battery (or two) for a lout-board but you can store Jerry cans of gas in case you had to go a longer distance against a foul current. I would look for a 2 cycle outboard that is hopefully in good shape as they are lighter pound for pound to HP then the 4 stroke models. The only problem with the 2 strokes is that they pollute a bit more AND you can't buy a new one in this country.
Pearson Triton is still a nice boat even if it has an outboard hanging on the transom.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We sailed through Woods Hole on our way to Edgartown last summer without an engine. Several of the nuns and cans we passed were almost dragged under by the current. The eddies around the daymarks, lights and rock outcroppings were impressive. We were closely followed by a tug and barge, and so were glad to have enough wind to be going faster than them: eight knots under main and jib. I believe there is a period of slack water for about twenty minutes between tides. Coming out of Woods Hole harbor with no engine, that would give you just about enough time to get into position to provide spectacular footage for the tourists on the ferry. If you can't mount a motor, perhaps there are moorings in Falmouth or Hyannis that would be accessible without one.
Old 03-30-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I only have an engine because it makes getting through the locks viable. It also helps with getting to the locks... going under bridges while sailing is a little sketch.
Old 03-30-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
It's not something I would do, but I tend to be risk averse. There is also a good amount of traffic to contend with.