Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I'm generally a cautious guy, but...

Given the right wind, at slack tide, yes you can do it. I did it once in a Seafarer Ranger, and once in a Cape Dory 27, without using the engine.

You need a reaching or a following breeze of at least 10-15 knots, and SLACK (I mean it, slack, or slightly starting in your favor) tide in the Hole. If you don't have the patience to wait at Quisset or Falmouth for those conditions, then by all means get an engine, or just don't go.

Without an engine, you have no redundancy if the wind and current don't play out as you had hoped.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2009

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
Well I made it in and out of Woods Hole about ten times before I ran into a problem. Went out for a sail on Saturday with my girlfriend and sister. Everything was going great until the wind pooched around 1300. I dropped the hook off Falmouth, had a sandwich and waited for the wind to finish clocking and fill in. I wasn't in a hurry as slack water in WH wasn't until around 1530. I felt the air start to stir around 1430 so I started making my way toward the channel going into WH. Then the wind completely died. I mean force 0 died. I was lined up perfectly for the channel but the current in Vineyard Sound had me and was pulling me SW at about 3 knots. It was no biggie, there was plenty of water around me and I could have just dropped the hook again once clear of the channel. However, my sister had somewhere to be so I got a tow back into great harbor from a nice guy in a Bene. Of course the second I climbed back in the tender to row ashore the wind filled back in at around 10kts. Damn.

Is the lesson here that one needs an engine to sail here? Nah. I think the lesson is to leave one's sister on shore!

I will say that that's the first tow I've ever gotten in 16 years of sailing, several of those professionally with no engine. Somehow I think I'll end up having another one or two before the season's over....
Old 06-09-2009
can't re Member

captlar is on a distinguished road
Glad you are now familiar with the "Hole". Keep in mind that traffic thru here gets very heavy in July and August. You will see boats being swept thru, out of control, with terror on all their faces. They are more of a concern than the current and the rocks. Usually, the current spits them out the other end. Power cruisers whip thru so it really is a crazy spot. I suspect you have already found "Quicks" and "Robinsons".

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Old 06-09-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstripesailor View Post
Well I made it in and out of Woods Hole about ten times before I ran into a problem. ...Is the lesson here that one needs an engine to sail here? Nah. I think the lesson is to leave one's sister on shore!
...I will say that that's the first tow I've ever gotten in 16 years of sailing, several of those professionally with no engine. Somehow I think I'll end up having another one or two before the season's over....
As to having another tow or two...there are plenty of vessels transiting Woods Hole with working engines who end up in situations where there is nothing left to tow...so a few tows would be a small price.

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-09-2009 at 04:52 PM.