Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2002

acmecoyote is on a distinguished road
A/C on the high seas

Am wanting to get input about a/c on sail boats. How well do they work? And how reliable can they be?

I know in the dock plugged in it should work okay, but how about when on trips...or mooring? Do they have a good generrator, batts, or is there even such a thing?

Now some may ask why in the wolrd for this, it is becasue I am burned and unable to sweat. Have learned to lkive with it, but out in some of the most beautiful places, even at night may get pretty warm for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
A/C on the high seas

acmecoyote,

Almost any air conditioner will draw huge amounts of electrical power when running. You will not likely be able to support a/c operation without a generator running at the same time. Some gensets may be quieter than others, but you will probably not have that feeling of tranquility (nor will others nearby) with the genset running.

Like any complex equipment, gensets and a/c units can suffer failures, so if you go this route, keep in mind that you may find yourself without any a/c at some point. If that would be life-threatening in your case, you will need a backup plan.

Good luck.

Duane
Old 10-26-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
A/C on the high seas

I''m not sure what boat you have, but if you wanted to just cool a small salon area you could get by with a ''smallish'' AC unit (6-7k BTU). That wouldn''t really cool all of my C36. But if I closed the fore and aft cabin it would probably cool the salon area ok. But the beauty of a small AC unit is that you could purchase a small gasoline powered generator (Like a honda unit). I have been told that these units will work fine for the smaller AC start-up current requirements (Thats the tough part, be sure to spec the generator to the start up current requirements of the AC unit).

The other good thing about these small generators are that they are relatively inexpensive, lightweight and are easy to use. (Not the expensive and complicated plumbing, like if you installed a permanent generator).

The downside is that you must store gasoline on board and then be carefull of the CO fumes . I would definetly have CO detectors installed. (I have heard people that leave it in a dink off the back of their anchored boat). I have also been told that they are very quiet though.

If you needed more BTU''s cooling for your boat you could add a second unit (another 7k BTU ?) and then when you are at the dock you could have the shore power easily run both. But being split up into 2 units make it easier to run one AC system at anchor.

Ok with that said I was going to get one 16.5k BTU unit for my boat. But it will be next to impossible to run at anchor without having to have one "Big A**" generator installed. Something I would never do.

You can basically forget about having Batteries run AC. The current requirements for even a small ''traditional'' AC unit is phenominal and would drain even the largest battery banks quickly.

There is an alternative and it works off your batteries...but I am not sure how well it works, but it might be worth a look. I am suspiciuos... Take a look here http://www.coolcurrents.net/

Good luck .....Good Sailing w/good anchorages.....and calm nights....;-)

Old 10-26-2002

acmecoyote is on a distinguished road
A/C on the high seas

Appreciate the input. Do not have a boat as of yet. Am lookng. That is why the questions so I know what I could look for or maybe add. I take it there are no diesel gen''s or your motor on board would not be able to be used? Do not think that I will need this continually all the time, but may at some point need it going more that 24 - 48 hours at one time. Want to make sure that the luxury is there when needed.

Thanks again
Gordon
Old 10-26-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
A/C on the high seas

You can always add a diesel generator.. You would need the space and it would cost alot to add (Ballpark $7-10k).You might be able to do it cheaper. But unless you had a good sized boat finding a good spot for it would be a hassle and the plumbing and necessary installation would not be trivial.

I guess you could do "something" with a diesel auxiliary engine, but it would put more hours on it than I wanted. There might be some "unique" systems out there that could run off a compressor on the engine. (They do have engine driven refrigeration systems, but they usually only run a few hours a day and freeze a cold plate) But the complexity is more than I would want on board.

If its only a temporary/once in a while thing, then I would get a honda gas generator and a smaller AC unit and just be careful with the gas and fumes.....(BTW we carry gas for our outboards anyway, so its not that big of a deal)