Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009

dhornsey is on a distinguished road
Advice on Small Kayak Brands

Hi All,

I'd like to pick up a couple of small plastic kayaks to keep on board. Something in the 10 ft. range and pretty cheap. I am wondering if anybody has any positive/negative things to say about any of the following models:

Perception Prodigy 10,

Old Town Otter

Pelican Pursuit 100

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We own two Perception 9.5 footers ("Sparkys") - no longer made, but the Prodigy should be similar. Our Perceptions have two channels in the bottom that stiffen things up, but more importantly act almost like keels in helping the boat to go straight. We are VERY pleased with these boats, and lately the only time the inflatable is out of the bag is when we have company. Otherwise all our shore expeditions are done by kayak.

Oyster proof, barnacle proof and great for exploring areas that would to tough with an inflatable/motor combo.

Looking at your links the Otter looks to have a very flat bottom section, which might make it track less straight than the perceptions. the Pelican looks like a nice boat, friends have one and they like it. My recollection is that the cockpit opening is quite large, maybe too big for safety if you get caught in some wash.

Highly recommend getting skirts, throw bags and pump while you're at it. Middleton Kayaks in N Vancouver is where we got ours, we paid about $1400 for two kayaks w/paddles and accessories. Get the bright colours (yellow, red. orange) and avoid the greens and blues for visibility reasons.

You'll love 'em....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
This one isn't on your list but I thought you might want to check it out. I've had this one for about 3 years and am very pleased with it.
http://www.lightspeedkayaks.com/pdf/Enigma.pdf
It only weighs 32lbs and it tracks very well for 9' and will fit nicely on the bow of most boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 03-31-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'depends on the plan for use. Those with the two channel "keels" described by "Faster" are like our small Wilderness Kayaks. These are good for flat water. Those without keels are more appropriate for whitewater. Ours are very small and simple, non-self bailing, shells that suit us well.

two Wilderness kayaks on deck
'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-31-2009

meuritt is on a distinguished road
I have no opinion about the specific kayaks you mention, mine is similar to Faster's is a great little play boat for calm water, I use it with my pups to get them to shore, but it is heavy.

it is quite the ordeal to get it off the water and on deck. Will be a lot easier when I rig a block and tackle off the boom, and a means to attach to the kayak, but 50+ pounds is pretty awkward to handle.

Consider the weight as part of the purchase equation
Old 03-31-2009

Thanks for the feedback guys. Do you find they are easy to get into and out of from your boats? Seems like there might be a few moments of instability when you are essentially standing up in them?
Old 03-31-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornsey View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Do you find they are easy to get into and out of from your boats? Seems like there might be a few moments of instability when you are essentially standing up in them?
Practice, practice, practice!! I can get in and out most places without incident, my wife is less comfy with the manouver, and prefers to get in and out off the stern ladder.

The key to this, as with any such craft, is to keep your weight centered in the boat. These plastic kayaks such as we're discussing are very beamy for their length, and as such are relatively stable, but still can be flipped by a careless move. Some like to use a paddle across the boat to evenly transfer your weight, but we've found that stepping into the middle, keeping your weight as centered over your feet as possible, and once "standing/squatting" in the boat sit down smoothly and quickly.

I've flipped ours once when trying to land on a steep rocky beach with a stern line in hand (and got a mitt full of barnacle scratches to boot - painful and bled like crazy), and my wife has managed to dump herself a couple of times getting in and off from the boat, but lately she's got the hang of it.

If you get the kayaks, and want to get some pointers/demos let us know and we'll meet you somewhere if you like!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 04-01-2009

Thanks guys. We ended up getting one Perception Prodigy 10 from craigslist for $370 w/ everything and one Pelican Storm 100 from costco for $340 w/ everything. To my untrained eye the Perception seems like the higher quality kayak, but I guess time will tell.

Now to figure out where to put them...
Old 04-01-2009
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornsey View Post
Thanks guys. We ended up getting one Perception Prodigy 10 from craigslist for $370 w/ everything and one Pelican Storm 100 from costco for $340 w/ everything. To my untrained eye the Perception seems like the higher quality kayak, but I guess time will tell.

Now to figure out where to put them...
That's a pretty good deal...

For a season or two we hung them outside the lifelines(on edge) alongside the cockpit... mostly worked OK unless we were beating in large seas, and it kept the side decks clear for going forward.
We've since added a jib furler, and with lesser need to go forward so much, we've taken to storing them inboard the lifelines amidships.

Have also seen people modify their stanchions with outside racks to stow kayaks outside the lifelines further forward.

These are pretty light, and we just have a long painter on the bows that we use to "lace" the kayaks onto the lifelines and through the toerail (you may not have a perforated toerail on your PSC....)

In any event, you're sure to enjoy them!

Old 04-01-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
You're going to enjoy them a lot, I have a Hobie Outback (wifes ) with Hobie drive and a Ocean Kayaks, (mine) we store one ( Hobie Outback ) on the starboard bow stanchions with a kayak racks and the other ( Ocean Kayak Prowler ) stays in the water.

They're pretty easy to get in & out of, just be deliberate in your movement

enjoy

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies