Paint Colors - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-31-2009 Thread Starter

Paint Colors

Hi, I have a 27 ft Columbia and I am going to paint the hull this spring. Question is paint color. I would really like to paint the hull above the waterline black and the area below the waterline dark Gray. The question in my mind is why are most in fact the greatest majority of sailboats that I have viewed, painted white above the waterline, mine included. If it's just color preference, then that's fine but is there some reason dark colors are not often used. I don't want to go to all the trouble of painting it black and later this summer finding out I made a big mistake. Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-31-2009
Tartan 28

It will absorb a lot of heat and considering your boat probably isn't insulated, will equate to much warmer cabin temperature over ambient temperature. My boat is painted navy and I can really feel the heat difference waking up in the morning if I'm sleeping on the sunny side of the boat.

Black will also have a tendency to show more in the likes of waterspots, etc... just a thought.

-drgamble

Tartan 28
Peregrine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-31-2009

Weephee,

Dark colors attract sunlight, sunlight is hot, therefore dark paint makes it warm inside your boat.

This may not be a big issue for you in Ottawa, but if you are in tropical waters it will make a big difference in comfort.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-31-2009

Dark Colors

Before you decide on a dark color, be mindful of the fact that sailboat hulls are NOT smooth to the point that there are no ripples 18" to 24" apart
in even the best of construction.
You can see the ripples with your temple against the hull looking length wise.
Dark colors make these imperfections stand out big time.
It is a given that if you want a dark color to look good, fairing is a must.
Dick
post #5 of 12 Old 03-31-2009 Thread Starter

Paint Colors

Thanks for the response. I never thought about heat being absorbed. I'll stick to the light colors.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-31-2009
Just another Moderator

A nice alternative to "fridgedaire white" that most boats seem to be, is a colour like Awlgrips "Whisper Gray"... light enough to be tolerant of imperfections and to be heat reflective rather than absorbing, but different enough to set you off from all the other (white) boats around.

Keep the decks light coloured for sure, not just to keep things cooler below, but also to keep things cool underfoot - try stepping barefoot on a black anodized genoa track on a hot day to see what I mean! Even the typical medium gray nonskid areas found on many boats get too warm for barefoot traffic!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 12 Old 03-31-2009

I would think a dark hull would also tend to show any scratches much more than a white hull.

What's a signature?????
post #8 of 12 Old 03-31-2009

Mr. Wuffles hit it right on the head. White hulls show fewer imperfections than dark hulls, which is why most production boats are white. White also makes a boat look bigger. (And everyone wants a bigger boat, no?) Add to this the fact that it is easier for a race committee to spot competitors who are over early at the start if they have a distinctive color hull, and you can see why most boat nowadays are white - or close to it. Because of the heat issue, you will tend to see more northern boats in dark colors, but until you get a bit south of New England, dark hulls don't tend to be too hot in the summer.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-31-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

Since the OP lives in the Great White North, I doubt that heat will be a consideration. Getting a hull straight enough for a dark color is a big task though. Scratches and waterspots are a problem too. I happen to think the results are worth it, but most people don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
post #10 of 12 Old 04-01-2009
Just another Moderator

You did a lovely job, John, and a well-done dark paintjob (Blue, Green, Black - take your pick) looks great when it's done right and still in good shape... I'd go with it again if fairness wasn't such a big deal, and if I hadn't watched a friend with a beautiful dark blue hull spend each evening trying to wipe/wash salt crystals off the hull.

It takes a well faired hull and a good hand with the paint, but there's no denying that it looks amazing... temperature issues aside.

.. now... on another topic.. looks like your bottom needs a wipe!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.