SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What do you do on a passage? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/53024-what-do-you-do-passage.html)

Dick Pluta 04-01-2009 08:52 AM

What do you do on a passage?

If you're like me about four hours into the first day of a passage you start to get antsy. What do you do to pass the time on a passage? For the purposes of this question I'd call anything longer than a day a passage.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
No longer Nassau, next home unknown

sailingdog 04-01-2009 10:25 AM

Read books, write, inspect the rigging, do little maintenance tasks that otherwise would go undone.

vega1860 04-01-2009 10:41 AM

Documented on video

I learn a lot. :cool:

We read, sometimes aloud to each other, work the ship and practice our navigation. I also like to play with fancy rope work.

SailKing1 04-01-2009 10:41 AM

I found it to be rather relaxing after the excitement of getting underway wore off. Spent time fishing, reading and playing cards. It's also a good time to practice those knots that are not frequently used. We also had a routine set for position updates and rig checks. And I found myself snacking a lot. After about the second day sleep becomes a leading time consumer.

ste27 04-01-2009 12:19 PM

Set your autopilot to sail a constant TWA and play with sail trim and watch the AWA and knot meter

Then set it to constant AWA and do the same thing (watching TWA instead).

Go up the mast and take pictures

Maybe your passages aren't long enough? I've found that the entertainment virtually takes care of itself after the first day.... either the weather forces you to be "on" or you've managed to get yourself into all sorts of stupid games/competitions with the rest of the crew

capttb 04-01-2009 12:41 PM

I'll listen to NPR, BBC, "book" radio, or old radio shows on XM, gives you someone to talk back to when you feel like an argument and can't come here.;)

gershel 04-01-2009 02:53 PM

On the first clear night, while looking at the amazing amount of stars, the same question always seems to pop up. Ya think there's really life out there? Then the really good conversations start, and you find yourself waiting for the next clear night to come.
I digress! Sigh!
Marc

sailingdog 04-01-2009 03:19 PM

that's cause there's very little light pollution to wipe out the stars out on the open ocean. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gershel (Post 469460)
On the first clear night, while looking at the amazing amount of stars, the same question always seems to pop up. Ya think there's really life out there? Then the really good conversations start, and you find yourself waiting for the next clear night to come.
I digress! Sigh!
Marc

jimmalkin 04-01-2009 03:56 PM

re: clear night and stars - on passage at night I usually spend an inordinate amount of time puzzling over whether that bright light that I see is really a star on the horizon, a plane on the horizon, a stern light on a boat or a (argh) steaming light on a boat heading at me without port/starboard running lights.

During the daylight, passage time is touch up varnish, metal polish, checking for chafe, repacking lockers and doing the general puttering around that I love to do while Joan reads after finishing the crossword puzzle of the day. I also tend to think about food alot - unless it's crap, on the nose weather and then I think about sun and following winds (so, I guess I dream on passages!)

ste27 04-01-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 469473)
that's cause there's very little light pollution to wipe out the stars out on the open ocean. :)

I hereby nominate this for the most informative sailnet, nay... whole internet post ever