Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
What do you do on a passage?

If you're like me about four hours into the first day of a passage you start to get antsy. What do you do to pass the time on a passage? For the purposes of this question I'd call anything longer than a day a passage.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
No longer Nassau, next home unknown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Read books, write, inspect the rigging, do little maintenance tasks that otherwise would go undone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Documented on video

I learn a lot.

We read, sometimes aloud to each other, work the ship and practice our navigation. I also like to play with fancy rope work.

Old 04-01-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I found it to be rather relaxing after the excitement of getting underway wore off. Spent time fishing, reading and playing cards. It's also a good time to practice those knots that are not frequently used. We also had a routine set for position updates and rig checks. And I found myself snacking a lot. After about the second day sleep becomes a leading time consumer.
Old 04-01-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Set your autopilot to sail a constant TWA and play with sail trim and watch the AWA and knot meter

Then set it to constant AWA and do the same thing (watching TWA instead).

Go up the mast and take pictures

Maybe your passages aren't long enough? I've found that the entertainment virtually takes care of itself after the first day.... either the weather forces you to be "on" or you've managed to get yourself into all sorts of stupid games/competitions with the rest of the crew
Old 04-01-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
I'll listen to NPR, BBC, "book" radio, or old radio shows on XM, gives you someone to talk back to when you feel like an argument and can't come here.
Old 04-01-2009

gershel is on a distinguished road
On the first clear night, while looking at the amazing amount of stars, the same question always seems to pop up. Ya think there's really life out there? Then the really good conversations start, and you find yourself waiting for the next clear night to come.
I digress! Sigh!
Marc
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
that's cause there's very little light pollution to wipe out the stars out on the open ocean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
On the first clear night, while looking at the amazing amount of stars, the same question always seems to pop up. Ya think there's really life out there? Then the really good conversations start, and you find yourself waiting for the next clear night to come.
I digress! Sigh!
Marc

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2009

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
re: clear night and stars - on passage at night I usually spend an inordinate amount of time puzzling over whether that bright light that I see is really a star on the horizon, a plane on the horizon, a stern light on a boat or a (argh) steaming light on a boat heading at me without port/starboard running lights.

During the daylight, passage time is touch up varnish, metal polish, checking for chafe, repacking lockers and doing the general puttering around that I love to do while Joan reads after finishing the crossword puzzle of the day. I also tend to think about food alot - unless it's crap, on the nose weather and then I think about sun and following winds (so, I guess I dream on passages!)

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 04-01-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
that's cause there's very little light pollution to wipe out the stars out on the open ocean.
I hereby nominate this for the most informative sailnet, nay... whole internet post ever