Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009

N30316 is on a distinguished road
Help with my docks

I needed some advice. I resently purchased a condo on a small lake in the midwest and am being told the condo docks will not hold a sailboat in the water.The docks are vw docks and I have a spirit 23 any ideas please let me know. happy sailing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
vw docks?

What is it about the docks they claim won't work? Draft?
I have no idea what the draft of the Spirit 23 is.
Old 04-03-2009

N30316 is on a distinguished road
Thanx I have plenty of depth, they tell me in strong winds a boat in the water tied to the dock will break the docks loose. The docks are not floating ,there held up with pipes that extend into the bottom maybe 24 inches.I was told that docks with floats were the best way to go.Any adivse would be great!
Old 04-03-2009
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N30316 View Post
Thanx I have plenty of depth, they tell me in strong winds a boat in the water tied to the dock will break the docks loose. The docks are not floating ,there held up with pipes that extend into the bottom maybe 24 inches.I was told that docks with floats were the best way to go.Any adivse would be great!
That is true...for years I built, installed & serviced these types of docks and they will take a beating with a heavy boat tied to them. Any onshore wind kicking up waves will pound the boat against the dock...pulling and bending the pipes and hardware, and the boat itself.

Best options are boat whips (not sure how viable this would be for a sailboat) or mooring.

Check out whips.

Whips basically hold the boat off the dock while still tied safely. But they really are large whips, mounted on the dock at bow and stern, tensioned/bent over the long axis to pull the boat out from the dock and hold it. While the usual bow/stern/spring lines hold the boat to the dock.

But, again, as these whips do stick up over the bow/stern, might get messy with the stays. Probably can work out...

Still, I would recommend a mooring.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 04-03-2009

higgins is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about how much wind you are thinking ?

My 30 feet Catalina is on a floating dock, 60 feet long, with 4 wood piles
drilled into the rocky bottom (Florida).
Looks quite sturdy. I have 4 fenders horizontally on the dock edge and 3-4 hanging from the boat, to give it enough compression material for "bumping"

So far I haven't seen much banging during the storms the last months,
but I have several feet chain and 3 anchors that I intend to use to keep the boat a few feet OFF the dock if we get severe !! weather (meaning hurricanelike winds).

I have some pictures, but as said, it's just a "normal" sturdy floating dock.
I have neighbours around with fixed docks (attached to their seewalls) with sailboats. But they keep them on loose lines (tides) with a lot of fenders.
We have as well some smaller sailboats on wips, keeping them off.

So I think it all comes down to the amount of wind you want to handle before getting the boat out of the water anyway.

Good luck with your plan