SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need Opion about boats... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/5310-need-opion-about-boats.html)

acmecoyote 10-26-2002 11:21 PM

Need Opion about boats...

Okay, placed this thread before in another area. Maybe this is the place I should put it. Have been looking at boats in the 35 - 45 ft range. Bene, Jenn, Catalina, Hunters. Would be used for living on. Sailed a few weekends, and major trips once a year. (major would be Galveston, TX to Costa Rica) Would any of these boats be a good go or should I look at larger size? Or even other manufactors?

Water capacity, head room in the head, and staying cool are my finer points.

NaughtyCat 10-28-2002 02:30 AM

Since you asked for opinions....
It all comes down to budget.
The brands you mention are the big builders of lower-priced boats, and as a whole, offer the most new boat for the money due to economy of scale. A little more quality can cost a lot more, and you can easily get less than what you pay for. My experience with these brands is limited to charters and sailing on other peoples'' boats. But my quick opinions are:
Jenneau is the best overall, based upon a more labor-intensive construction style which also results in a better looking interior. Interestingly, Jenneau is owned by the company that owns Beneteau, yet is competitively priced with that brand. It seems they are in competition with themselves.
Beneteau pretty much owns the charter market, so they must hold up under abuse pretty well, at least for a few years. The Beneteau "First" series is more performance oriented, but probably less suited to your intended use than the "Beneteau" series.
Hunters sail the fastest and point highest, but their innovative styling is just plain ugly, and seem to be the flimsiest built of the lot.
Catalinas have the most aesthetically pleasing exterior lines, but distinctively "girly" interiors.
Since the used sailboat market has recently softened in the buyer''s favor, you may do well seeking out a higher quality used boat, which is not what I''m doing, with a new Nauticat 42 currently under construction (pictures on my personal page).

acmecoyote 10-28-2002 09:16 AM

Thanks Naughtycat. I saw that picture once before. Your handle caught my eye and I had to see what a naughtycat look like ha ha. Anyway, I appreciate it. At this time I am probably going to be looking more the higher quality. I think it is going more for the Hylas ot Tartan. Although I have drooled on the Halberg-rassy ha ha. Look forward to reading more of your inquiries and hearing of the new vessel in the future.

- Gordon

Denr 10-28-2002 10:00 AM

I have not read much about the Nauticat boats. Seriously speaking (typing) is there more to them than just another pilothouse motor sailor? I do like the comment about a Catalina being a girly boat, Naughtycat''s words not mine maryveeberth!

NaughtyCat 10-28-2002 10:40 AM

Denr,
Check out www.nauticat.com for more info. They are currently producing two distinct breeds of cat: The roomier motorsailor types and the better-sailing pilothouse sailboats, like my 42. It''s interesting that you ask if they are "just another pilothouse motorsailor" as it seems that very few true pilothouse designs are offered these days. There are quite a few "raised salon" types with front facing windows, but these usually do not provide the visibility necessary to keep watch frpom below.
As for "girly" interiors on Catalinas, that''s more a comment on their decor rather than their layout. I once saw one exhibited at a boatshow with stuffed animals (poodles, teddybears, etc.) all over the largest berth!

Denr 10-29-2002 04:09 AM

Badpussy (naughtycat)

I checked out the site but did not find many construction details, in fact none! Are these boats really good sailing machines? Perusing through the specifications I noted that they are designed to carry more than 180 gallons of fuel. Which is it, a sailing or motoring vessel, maybe both? Being built in Finland and sailed on the Baltic, I''m sure they''re built “strong like bull”.

FWIW you''ll want to temper your comments on this bulletin board, as many do not take Benehuntalinas criticism very well. So in the future, I''d suggest that you "sugar coat" comments such as "girly boat", although I still enjoy those comments!

tsenator 10-29-2002 04:31 AM

Nothing wrong with discussions on aesthetics. Its always subjective and is a personal choice. Any way, what might be attractive to one person might not be to another. I do agree with *most* of what NaughtyCat says. Though I understand the comment about "girly" interiors if the boat show host put stuffed animals all over (lol). They do have woman selling these things often . But I really don''t think the interiors of a lot of these boats are that different.

acmecoyote, If you have a bigger budget then I would pick the Hylas considering your requirements. I think there is a much better layout for living on and still a nice boat to be sailed a few weekends and very capable of major trips.

acmecoyote 10-29-2002 05:17 PM

Okay maybe this will help a bit more. My acutal budget I want to keep things at are 125,000 to 135,000 for getting a boat. That was the reason for the four big brand choices. Kinda like I Ford / Chevy. They are priced proper to do the same function. I may be willing to jumpo to about 175 or 185 if for only a couple years older to get a great quality boat. Again this is going to be my first. Not to mention i never sailed before. But I do want to live on it. Thanks for all the response.

- Gordon

NaughtyCat 10-30-2002 04:31 AM

Denr, et.al.,
Given enough bunnyfur, houseplants, teddybears and pastel upholstery of a pinkish persuation, any boat can given the look of a fancyhouse, even the most seaworthy. As I said before, these brands generally do deliver the most new boat for your dollar. You can pay twice as much to get a boat that''s 25% better. The adage "You get what you pay for" is not entirely accurate. Perhaps "You usually get no more than what you pay for" is more accurate.

As for Nauticat constuction, briefly, the features that impressed me as right for my plans is that the hull AND deck are solid fiberglass laminate rather than cored. The keel is lead rather than iron and concrete. The interior is built by carpenters after the hull and deck are joined rather than popped out of a mold. This is more conducive for internal structural support than an ill-fitted plastic floorpan. The engine at 110hp is quite a bit larger than usually installed in a 42 foot boat with about 200 gals each of fuel and water for long range under power when desired. All this adds up to a rather heavy displacement, but they didn''t further slow her down with a tubby hullform or a full keel. It''s not the boat for casual racing on the Chesapeake, but fits my long rage livaboard cruising plans. I found her to sail better and maneuver under power better than other comparably-priced cruising designs, and offer a far better degree of fit, finish and accomodation. So it seemed to defy the old adage quoted above. Perhaps it''s because they are not aggressively marketed with slick ad campaigns. If you want further details I guess you need to get a spec. sheet from a dealer.

Sailmc 10-30-2002 05:54 AM

NaughtyCat, I definately agree with your arithmatic in your first paragraph. Beyond the most popular production boats there is a rapidly diminishing return on your dollar. You have to have a critcal need for that extra bit of quality or a deep enough pocket that you don''t care about the price. Getting what you paid for is challenge enough.