86 Starwind 223 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-05-2009 Thread Starter
neophyte

86 Starwind 223

Hello,
I bought an 86 Starwind 223 today, my first boat sailboat, needs a bit of work but was a steal of a deal ($500), came with a trailer, 7 sails (2 brand new), 2 600 GPH bilge pumps, solar panel, battery, fish finder, clean inside (somebody already removed the original carpet on the ceiling). Overall nice boat, the hull is in good condition (needs painted), mast is new (2 yrs old but boat hasn't been on the water in 2 yrs either), only thing is some stress cracks in the fiberglass on the port side seat of the cockpit, and some teak that needs refinishing. The boat seems nice, but something keeps telling me I got "too good" of a deal (mainly my wife). Anything I should look for? Especially since it hasn't been in the water and has been sitting in the sun uncovered for so long. I knocked on the hull all around, no de-lamination, no stress crack/damage, just a slight surface crazing on the starboard side. I don't know anything about this model, or much more about sailboats in general, just seemed like such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-05-2009
Telstar 28

Hull delamination isn't usually an issue on smaller boats, since they're often solid glass hulls. If it had a cored hull, that'd be a different story. How is the deck and cabin top?? If you've got stress cracks in the port side seat, it may be due to delamination of the cockpit laminate.

Most often, boats that are priced at "too-good-to-be-true" prices are priced that way for a reason and end up being far more expensive than spending the money on one in good condition.

That said, I'd also recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you figure out what the real problems on this boat are and then you can go and start fixing them.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-05-2009 Thread Starter
neophyte

Good thread, I checked most of that stuff out, missed a couple things Ill have to check today. Studied the book "Inspecting the aging sailboat" by Don Casey, thats how I checked the boat out, since I have no sailboat experience. Just curious if there are any things particular to this model that I dont know about. Thank you for your help.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-05-2009
Tartan 27' owner

Since you did not mention an engine with this Starwind 223 then your price is still good but not too good to be true. If you only had to add an engine then your total cost might come to $1500 which is in line with some of the Starwind 223s I saw listed on Starwind 223 Sailboat Photo Gallery
(the lowest listing was for $1700 up to $6K with $4K being the average). If you have to add new sails, cushions etc then your total cost goes up to ...

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #5 of 16 Old 04-07-2009 Thread Starter
neophyte

Thats a good point about the motor, since I dont know how to sail Im wary to take her out and learn with out a motor. She does have sails though, 7 of them, including a spinnaker, spinnaker pole and roller furling for the jib. I found a 5 horse mercury outboard on craigslist for $300 obo, is that big enough to push this thing or do I need a bigger one? I already have two fuel tanks that my dad gave me. Oh, and the cushions are in pretty good shape too, just need to be cleaned. Thanks for your input and any tips, I greatly appreciate it.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-07-2009

I think, BTW, that Starwind is similar to modern Precisions......
Nice looking boats......and anything that floats and sails for that price sure seem OK.

Yes, 5HP should push it along just fine, the only exception being if you have really strong currents....like over 3 kts and are trying to always go against them.....slow moving.

Also, make sure the motor is long shaft.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2009 Thread Starter
neophyte

Oh ok, thanks, Ill check out that motor then. I also have a question regarding cockpit reinforcement. As I said before the cockpit deck is showing signs of stress cracking. I crawled under there today to asses the damage from the bottom and figure out how much matting Ill need to reinforce it when I noticed that the previous owner (Im assuming) tried to reinforce it with a poorly made wooden arch that is tared (looks like roofing tar) to the hull. My question is, from the factory, would there be any reinforcements of this type? It seems to me that with any flexing of the hull or cockpit it would put undue pressure on the other. So Im thinking I should take this wooden reinforcement out and just put more fiberglass matting on to reinforce, leaving the area below deck wide open to the cockpit. I just dont know if this is the correct course of action, mabye its suppose to have a reinforcement from the hull? Id greatly appreciate any input, thanks.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-27-2009

RE: Starwind223 - rigging

FYI - I have a '86 Starwind 223 on Lake Thurmond at the Augusta Sailing Club. I bought it used about 9 years ago and was sailing it on Saturday. I think you will like the boat as long as you plan to cruise and not race it. I jokingly call it my tub but it isn't that bad and much more comfortable than a Catalina 22. My kids felt much safer on it than the dinghies that I do race while growing up. I have a 5 HP outboard motor which does great on a lake sail but might not be so great if you have lots of current or tide. It has the long shaft and a swing mount which is needed to make reaching the water from the cockpit within reach of the motor controls.

I have a copy of the original Rebel Industries, 1220 Tallevast Road, Sarasota, Florida 34243 -- Starwind 223 Operating and Rigging Instructions. I could scan and send it to you if needed. Unfortunately it is very weak on true details and not in great shape. For example it describes how to string your rigging lines but does not give the recommended line sizes and lenght specifications, which on my boat all need to be replaced. If you have those numbers I would like to see them. I believe the mast is 28.5 feet but I am not even sure about that and I would like to replace my halyards without dropping the mast. Dropping the mast is not hard but you need to get about three guys to help to be safe.

My hull seems to be in good shape. I keep it on a trailer but it was in the water for many years and there are several water blisters that have been repaired. I do get a couple of small very iritating leaks at the windows in a good rain. One of these days I will get around to getting new windows cut and replaced. I have had to replace the cushions a couple of times.

Be very happy with your sails. I need new ones and only have the small lapper jib and a cruising mainsail. I expect to pay up to $2K to replace.

Good luck and I suspect you got a very under valued solid boat.

wpencer2
post #9 of 16 Old 04-28-2009 Thread Starter
neophyte

thanks for the info! where your mast attaches to the deck is there a u shape metal bracket with a slide groove cut out of the port and starboard sides? what kind of bolt do you have securing the mast to the u bracket? as far as rigging, mine is in pretty poor shape, Im planning on using the existing rigging as a template so when I get the measurements done Ill let you know. I think my roller furling can be salvaged but I dont know. Thanks again for the reply.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-29-2009

I had a 1985 Starwind 19 for about 5 years. They're good boats and handle pretty well in most conditions. Does the 223 have a centerboard or keel? One of the things you need to check (if it has one) is the hinge pin for the centeboard (swing-keel?). Mine was still pretty tight but others I've talked with that had that model had to do quite a bit of work to repair/replace the pin.

Mine had a Yamaha 4hp short-shaft on it mounted on an outboard bracket to raise/lower it and was adequate for what I did with the boat - it would push it at hull speed in calm, flat conditions but in a breeze agains the tide it was kinda slow.

That U shaped bracket on the cabin top for the mast base uses a stainless pin with washers and cotter pins or stainless nuts. This runs through the bottom of the mast and drops into the slot with the washers on the outside. Made it easy to single-hand putting the mast up but basically it takes all of the weight of the rig - make sure it's up to it!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.