Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009

CaptRJ is on a distinguished road
[EDIT-JRP] captain's course

I have heard from a few folks that [EDIT-JRP] has an excellent online oupv course at a reasonable price.

after a quick look I noticed they are the only online school that offers a free demo of what to expect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Capt. Ralph

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-05-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: No commercial self-promotion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2009
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
Now Capt RJ - I hate to sound suspicious, but what exactly is your relationship with [EDIT-JRP]

You've only recently joined and all your posts are about on-line OUPV courses, and your own signature includes a link direct to [EDIT-JRP].

Me thinks you work for them/with them? and if so, why would you use phrases such as "I've heard from a few folks" giving the impression of a more distant relationship?

I may be wrong (In which case I profusely apologize) but I think it's only fair you clarify.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-05-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Removed reference to commercial post, to deny benefit for OP
Old 04-05-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Monty Python may think that Spam is wonderful and glorious but I'm not so sure.
Old 04-05-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
From his first post "We have found the students’ requiring the hands on applies mostly to retired, and the recreational boaters."

He's a ringer...stop the SPAM captain... NO ONE WILL USE YOUR PLACE and the word will spread. That's a sleazy approach.
Old 04-05-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
So just for fun, I looked at their web site, and took the demo. Based on what I saw in the demo, I wouldn't sign up. The instructions for the course were read by a computer voice synthesizer that was very annoying. I certainly wouldn't want to listen to that for an entire oupv course. The sample study material and quiz questions were pretty lame, but the last one was a classic. It showed a picture of the skyline of a seaside city at dusk and asked what city it was. There was no other information given to provide any clue as to the identity of the city, so either you must have seen the city from the water or you have a 25% chance at the multiple guess.

The whole experience made me want to look elsewhere.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-05-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I figured I would just click on the contact us button on their front page, and low and behold "Thank you for your interest in Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) , taught by Capt. Ralph J Person. Please provide your contact details to receive the access information." Coincidence? Probably, right? Say it ain't so RJ! Or... say you are sorry or something. Good catch Girl, Cam, John.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 04-05-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRJ View Post
I have heard from a few folks that [EDIT-JRP] has an excellent online oupv course at a reasonable price.

after a quick look I noticed they are the only online school that offers a free demo of what to expect.
CaptRJ,

Are you affiliated in any way with the OUPV school you are recommending?

SailNet forum rules do not allow commercial self-promotion. Please see:

SailNet Hall of Shame

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-05-2009

ericsmith3d is on a distinguished road
Plus his website, the first page anyway, looks like crap in Firefox. Some text overlays other text, making it illegible. If that's the way the entire site looks (I didn't care enough to investigate further) it would be unusable.
Old 04-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely done guys...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-05-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
RJ
You've done yourself more harm than good. I might have considered your class, till now.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.