Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009

ericmeury is on a distinguished road
boat needed for photo shoot

hello all,

i'm new to the board but not new to sailing...this is a serious request.

One my closest friends is now living in LA and is organizing photo shoots for modeling contracts. I have no idea on the companies or products. All i know is that he has indicated that he would like to do a photo shoot on a sailboat.

Probably out to see, maybe on catailina island.

I used to have a choey lee and i was thinking that a wooden type boat would be best.

Honestly not sure if there is any pay or not, i'm just trying to get some interest going and see if anybody would be interested in sailing with us while the models hang out on your boat for a few hours.

let me know if your interested

ericmeury@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2009

Hesper is on a distinguished road
My boat was featured on a program on German TV, so she's already an experienced model. But we're on the east coast, so that does you no good.
Old 04-07-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Were I to volunteer, I suspect that the Admiral would require certain conditions to be met, and it's pretty hard to skipper a boat while blindfolded.
Old 04-07-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
What's the pay?

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Anyone contemplating this should go in armed with knowledge. If you are receiving any compensation at all, you can be liable for any and all accidents of any kind.

First thing is to have a licensed captain in charge of the boat. Without a licensed captain, no insurance in the world is going to help you in any way.

Second, get yourself and/or your boat listed as a named insured on the photographers liability insurance. This does two things. One, it verifies that the photographer does indeed have liability insurance ($1 million minimum) and second, it gives you direct access to the insurance for claims purposes which is a very good thing. You might also consider requiring a deposit for the insurance deductable amount.

Models can be very flaky people, photographers can be very demanding people; who knows what might happen to them in the course of the shoot. Plenty of people with no experience hanging out on your boat at sea, distracted by the business at hand, can lead to injury and/or damage.
Old 04-07-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Anyone contemplating this should go in armed with knowledge. If you are receiving any compensation at all, you can be liable for any and all accidents of any kind.

First thing is to have a licensed captain in charge of the boat. Without a licensed captain, no insurance in the world is going to help you in any way.

Second, get yourself and/or your boat listed as a named insured on the photographers liability insurance. This does two things. One, it verifies that the photographer does indeed have liability insurance ($1 million minimum) and second, it gives you direct access to the insurance for claims purposes which is a very good thing. You might also consider requiring a deposit for the insurance deductable amount.

Models can be very flaky people, photographers can be very demanding people; who knows what might happen to them in the course of the shoot. Plenty of people with no experience hanging out on your boat at sea, distracted by the business at hand, can lead to injury and/or damage.
Very wise advise from Xtort and especially the liability concerns -- worthy of serious consideration! My first impression reading the request was that this sounded like someone trying to build their portfolio and not truly a professional shoot.
Old 04-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to do this, I'd also recommend making a list of rules for the photographer/models that needs to be followed. In a thread on another forum, they had photos of models in stiletto heels. I would never allow someone in stiletto heels aboard a fiberglass boat, as the loads caused by the stiletto heels can easily damage teak or fiberglass decks if they're not careful... Also, a lot of common shoes will leave nasty black streaks on fiberglass that are a PITA to remove.

One other point... if you're receiving compensation for the use of your boat, you may be considered that the boat is being chartered. Charter boats require commercial insurance generally, and also require a USCG licensed captain involved.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
One other point... if you're receiving compensation for the use of your boat, you may be considered that the boat is being chartered. Charter boats require commercial insurance generally, and also require a USCG licensed captain involved.
One thing that is always overlooked by many that think they can make a quick buck doing a charter is the boat it's self must documented as a commercial vessel and equipped as a commercial passenger vessel. Please see CFR 46 for the requirements. Under 6 passengers is a OUPV, over 6 passengers the vessel needs to be inspected and have a valid COI from the CG and the Capt. must have a Masters license.
Old 04-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good point Bubb... and you have to have all the USCG required commercial gear aboard her too...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
One would also probably be better off letting ones fingers do the walking thru the "boat charter" yellow pages in the LA and surrounding area to find a boat available with captain etc vs someone off an internet site. Then again, of course some of us might know folks locally...........which I do in seattle, but not LA!

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.