Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2003

piclarke is on a distinguished road
SEA SICK MEDICATIONS

Hi Pris,
Just noticed your comments with interest. I meet a American couple 6 months ago - the wife suffered from acute sea sickness and had a wrist band you talk about. They swore by it as the only thing they tried that actually worked. Unfortunately I did ask them for details of the product and where to purchase it.

Do you know or any one elese out there. I would greatly appreciate it if details could be advise.

May the wind on our backs be not our own.
PHIL::
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
SEA SICK MEDICATIONS

piclark,

I have seen these things all over the place. I think West Marine and Boat US (oh....same thing) carry them. They are called ReliefBand Motion Sickness Band

They aren''t cheap, but look for them on sale. There are 2 models one with a replaceable battery (a bit more expensive) and one where when the batteries die, you throw the thing away.

Here is the WM link -- http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=57084
Old 02-27-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
SEA SICK MEDICATIONS

piclark,

Forgot to mention that there are the very cheap "pressure point" wrist bands you can get from WM and BoatUS that do the same thing but without the electrical stimulation of the more expensive ReliefBand Motion Sickness Band . Works for some people.

Like "davis Instrument" products like these here -- http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=31927
Old 02-28-2003

jadesky is on a distinguished road
SEA SICK MEDICATIONS

Hi,

The pressure point wrist band is Great!! Amazing. My preferred choice.
The motion ease, ginger etc. works a bit until you get sick just by the associated smell. Sturgeron/cinnarizine (sp?) can be purchased in Mexico, and it definitely works. The drugs only need to be used about 24 hours before passage and 1st 24 hours out, then the body is set. That''s my experience.
Old 03-05-2003

jheard is on a distinguished road
SEA SICK MEDICATIONS

My favorite thing is Coca-Cola. The carbonation settles your stomach, and the caffeine prevents you from getting drowsy (a sea-sickness side effect). Saltine crackers help as well. Looking at the horizon also helps. These only work in mild conditions, though.
Old 03-09-2003

rads is on a distinguished road
SEA SICK MEDICATIONS

Everyone has different symptoms and severity of reaction to both motion sickness and remedies. We tried many different ones for my wife who got violently ill (no nausea, vomiting but borderline passing out sweating, difficulty breathing) Patch worked but she had no idea what was happening and slept all the time (not much fun). Relief band (75% of the time ok but wasn''t reliable, had to have at least 3 replaced). Phenergan and ephedrine combo (coast guard Rx) too many side effects and not always reliable. Last choice was an over the counter remedy, Bonine (worked all of the time and no side effects), different person,totally alert and actually enjoys sailing now. It is dependent on the individual and what works for them.
Old 08-03-2006

SailBum26 is on a distinguished road
Smooth Sailing Anti-Nausea

There is a anti-nausea beverage called "Smooth Sailing" that contains ginger along with other stuff, like B6, to settle queazy feeling. You never know when your guests will need it so I never leave the dock with out it now.
I got mine from a fishery supply company in Bellingham WA, but I think it may be available on elsewhere if you search around for it, or I found they're web site http://www.smoothsailing-thebeverage.com
Nice part is it even works after your guests are feeling green
Old 08-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I usually keep a box of ginger snap cookies on board. They seem to work farily well at warding off seasickness.

The wrist bands work pretty well, as my late wife used them throughout her chemo and radiation treatments, to help with the nausea. She used the acupressure type bands, that don't require batteries. However, getting them positioned properly is a problem, and you will have to experiment with them a bit to find the proper spot for them, as it is a bit different on each person.

Ginger ale is also a pretty good remedy for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-03-2006

christinero is on a distinguished road
Both my wife and I have used sturgeron and had no side effects at all. We used it almost everyday on a recent sail to Bermuda. It,s not available in the states but you can order it online. Not expensive and works great.
Old 08-03-2006

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Stugeron

I keep stugeron on board for my crew.
everyone who has tried it (about 30 people so far) swear by it. if we stop in bermuda everyone heads to richardsons drug store to stock up.
it is available on line from out of the country.
i highly recommend it.
fair winds,
eric