Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009

sgravel1975 is on a distinguished road
question from a newbie

If someone wants to go to australia from lets say california with a sailboat and with no experiance where shoul I start. Taking a class on navigation ect which kind a boat il need ect......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I think a lot of folks start "air chair sailing". That is they read books written by folks who have already done it. It gives one an idea of what to expect and how to prepare for it.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Start by learning to sail. A basic ASA 101 type learn to sail course would be a good start. Then get David Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor, and get as much time in sailing in various boats and weather conditions as is possible. Taking a class in navigation is a necessity, but learning the sailing skills to get the boat from point A to point B is more important.

Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.

Once you get a boat capable of making the passage from the US to Oz, I would highly recommend you spend a period of time working up from daysailing to weekending to coastal cruising on the boat and getting to know the systems and boat as well as possible. It is only at this point that I'd recommend you take the more advanced ASA navigation courses.

Then try some shorter bluewater passages...and work your way up to a Pacific crossing.

Generally, most boats are far tougher than the sailors on them. If you don't build up and prepare yourself, it really doesn't matter whether the boat is capable of making the journey or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I would like to sail sum blue water passages too. I read alot and sail the Bay. Just wanted to suggest reading a true story called " Ten degrees of Reckoning " by Hester Rumberg. Gives you alot to consider.
Old 04-13-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
What worked for me was read, read, read!!!!!
At the same time you do need to do some courses and learn how to sail.....Remember that ' a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step". So take it, book yourself into a learn to sail course, buy a bunch of books and get into it!!

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 04-13-2009

adru is on a distinguished road
Get yourself a small sailboat and sail it every chance you get, reading and classes will reinforce what you learn through experience. What’s great about sailing a small sailboat is anybody can buy one, put it in the water and go. A used car top sailboat would be fairly inexpensive and easy to learn to sail through trial and error. With your life preserver on and a tiller in your hand those far off adventures you dream of will no longer seem unattainable.
"Never pray for an easier life - pray to be a stronger person! Never pray for tasks equal to your power - pray for power equal to your tasks. Then doing your work will be no miracle - you will be the miracle." Phillips Brooks
Old 04-13-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I agree with adru. You really need to get out and actually sail. Take the ASA lessons - or, at minimum, look on craigslist in your area to see if there are some day charters that are also lessons, and/or crazy dudes that rent their boats out to strangers. We actually had a dude at our marina that did just that. You'll find a way.
Old 04-13-2009

TomRay is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TomRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgravel1975 View Post
If someone wants to go to australia from lets say california with a sailboat and with no experiance where shoul I start.
A travel agency would be my first thought. Maybe one of those big ships that hauls cruising yachts around?