Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
This what they use in Arkansas

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3634/...308cd6f6f6.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
LOLOLOL,

That pic sure makes the rounds, but it still makes me chuckle after viewing it maybe 20 times.... ....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2009

craigimass is on a distinguished road
I need a dingy also, but since my real boat is not much bigger, I only need it to get out to the mooring. I was looking at the Walker Bays because it seems as if they might not get as messed up dragging across sand and gravel beaches as a FG model would.....I looked at used stuff on craigslist and they want decent money for it...seems like an 8ft WB at about 640 or so is a decent deal.....don't really want to inflate anything.....
does that sound right?
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Old 04-16-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
craig the fiberglass digny's will hold up better than a pvc one will being dragged over the sand. also you can get stern mounted wheels for hard dingys that make em a breeze to move around. in your situation you might want to get a 75 amp deep cycle and a trolling motor for the dingy. a small solar panel will make it easy to keep charged and will make a great second/back up battery for the boat
Old 04-16-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
The last boat I had was only 25' so I didn't want to get or did it really make sense for me to get a good real dink so I bought a $30 Coleman raft that one would use in a pool. The area I had the boat, the Great South Bay in Long Island - it wasn't neccessary to have a real dink so all I needed the Coleman for was to get me and buddy into the outdoor bar from our little anchorage 50 yards away. Will never forget the looks on a few hundred people's faces as they see me and buddy rowing up to the bar (when most people walk from the land entrance) in our little Coleman raft!

Now with my current boat I have a 10' Zodiac with a 5hp ob. I absolutely love it! Every year we make a trip to Block Island and there is always at least a hundred cruising boats anchored out in the great salt pond and all the dingys are like cars ferrying families,kids, pets to and from shore. Its so fun to hop in the dink and do a sunset cruise around the harbor admiring all the amazing yachts, then cruise over to our friends boats and then to shore and eventually back to the boat. You will not regret it
Old 04-17-2009

craigimass is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I can pretty much swim to my mooring and it is in a cove on an inlet - well, they didn't assign my spot yet, but it will definitely be somewhat close to shore. I was considering rowing only since there is very little current in the cove. The other thing is that I can store the dinghy locked to a ground stake back in the weeds...instead of driving it there (I live 1/4 mile away)...these are private moorings, not a marina or real harbor.

Interesting to hear that FG will hold up on gravel and sand as well as molded plastic. I thought that was the whole idea of those WBs.....but, yes, I have seen soft plastics that can scratch deeply.

Maybe I'll look at those craigslists $250 FG models again....
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Old 04-17-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
so what kind of wood, rowing/sailing dink do you reccommend ?
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 04-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to get a fiberglass dinghy... I would highly recommend adding a layer of kevlar cloth to the bottom and putting a light layer of fiberglass cloth over it... that will give the hull of the dinghy far more abrasion resistance than fiberglass alone would have... Also, the kevlar cloth would increase the puncture resistance of the dinghy.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-17-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
dinghy sailing wood kits - Google Search

I just googled wooden dingy sailing kits, and this page came up....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 04-17-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigimass View Post

Interesting to hear that FG will hold up on gravel and sand as well as molded plastic. I thought that was the whole idea of those WBs.....but, yes, I have seen soft plastics that can scratch deeply.

Maybe I'll look at those craigslists $250 FG models again....
i did not under stand, the walker bays sold where i live in craigslist are inflatables. yes the molded plastic ones will hold up well too. the only molded plastic dingy i was in was kind of flimsy, it twisted with each little wake and wave. i dont know if it was a walker bay thou, so make sure you check out what ever you buy.
also look in to the stern wheel kits