Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The walker bay hard dingy do not twist and are stiff. I bought mind off of craigslist with oars and a trolling motor for $300.00. The guy also delivered it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2009

craigimass is on a distinguished road
Great to hear...great deal......
Yeah, I was talking about those hard plastic ones......which also have a nice sailing kit you can add to them...
But my neighbor (a real sailor) told me if I buy the dinghy with the sailing kit I might use my actual sailboat less, so I'm gonna take his advice for now.
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Old 04-17-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Same here.

I second guessed myself and thought, "If it's nice enough to sail the dinghy, shouldn't I be sailing my big boat??"

Last edited by WouldaShoulda; 04-17-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2009

mahana27 is on a distinguished road
I'm looking to get a dinghy myself. There are places that you just don't get to explore without a dinghy. Unless you always have a dock to tie up to, it's just something you can only live without until you have your own. Sort of like high speed internet. I can't imagine going back to a 56K modem.
Old 04-24-2009

Bob Dutton is on a distinguished road
Dingy

To: backcreeksailor

We sail out of Southall Landings on Salt Ponds just north of Hampton. I've found my dingy quite useful, even in the marina - I can use it as a cleaning platform for working on the hull. I looked a good bit at brands/prices before I purchased.
Check out Sea Eagle. They have a large variety of inflatables. My dingy is a 4 man (SE 8, I think), very reasonably priced. I added a motor mount and seat assembly about a month ago, for an electric trolling motor. Looking forward to trying it out in the next month or so. I got the motor with battery & a solar panel from Float Green. (You may be able to get some discounting at both locations, if you mention my name as a referral.
We've yet to do much 'exploring' outside the lower Bay - but I know there are numerous places to put the hook down. Marinas can be pricey for overnight - the lowest I've seen advertized has been about 1.50 a foot.
Suggestion - think about joining a yacht club that's a member of Yachting Clubs of America. You can then get reciprocity (space available) at other clubs at no/low cost. I'm a member of the Old Point Yacht Club at Fort Monroe (opyc.org), just $40.00 a year.
Check them out as an example.

Bob Dutton
s/v Ruach
Richmond, VA
Old 07-28-2009

RetsinaB is on a distinguished road
After 10+ years on the bay, no dink *needed*...

Guess I'll add my 2 pennies. I've been cruising on the The Bay for over 10 years, and still don't believe I *need* a dinghy. Granted, I estimate I've split nights 40/60 between anchoring and docking, so there's been less need. I've never had too much trouble finding dockage - even day of - unless sailing on a big holiday. Then be sure to call way in advance. Also can get water taxi service at some the "bigger" towns.

That being said, I've actually wanted a dinghy for some time now as I've been leaning more and more toward anchoring and would love the freedom that a dink gives in ability to explore the surroundings and gunkholes otherwise inaccessible. Also, now that I've just moved from a 32' to a 40', slips fees (and everything else!!) are a bit more pricey

I'll be sure to read all the prior dinghy recommendations. Thanks!
-RB