Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Question Dinghy - Do you reeeally need one?

This is kind of a location specific question (For the Chesapeake Bay)...

All my time spent on the bay so far has been spent as a racer, not as a cruiser. So I know where all the common windward and leeward mark setting locations are. But I know almost nothing about anchorage options between Havre De Grace and Newport News.

I've got a C&C 30 with a 5' draft, 10' beam, and 45' mast clearance.

Is it typical to be able to find open slips during the summer months at most anchorages, (e.g. St Michaels, Oxford, Cambridge, Solomons, and further south)? Do you normally have to call ahead to reserve slip space? And how often do you run into situations where your only option to get ashore is via dinghy?

I'm just wondering if dropping the $$$ on a dinghy and hauling one around is reeeally necessary to visit and enjoy most anchorages on the bay?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
...I'm just wondering if dropping the $$$ on a dinghy and hauling one around is reeeally necessary to visit and enjoy most anchorages on the bay?
It will be money well spent. I can't imagine exploring the Bay without a dinghy.

If cost is a major concern, consider building your own dinghy and saving some money. A good rowing/sailing dinghy is all you need -- no need to spring for an outboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends...but with a 5' draft, walking out to your boat is going to be tough... Get a dinghy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No...you don't need a dinghy...just a good Hefty bag. Put all your clothes in and a towel and you can swim in naked and change on shore!
Old 04-15-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Ok... It sounds like everyone is having fun with the responses... But seriously...

Is it really that difficult to find an open slip or a dock side tie up that at places like I mentioned? If so, is it a problem with overcrowding, or is it a problem with having a relatively deep draft vessel (as compared to power boats)?

The cheapest non-pool-toy dinghy I can find with an inflatable bottom is $400 + tax... And anything with a rigid bottom starts at $1000... It seems like it would take a lot of overnight slip rental fees to add up to that cost.
Old 04-15-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
No...you don't need a dinghy...just a good Hefty bag. Put all your clothes in and a towel and you can swim in naked and change on shore!

Perhaps. but then again it may wind up being more expensive in more ways than one if he gets stopped for Public Indecency.
Old 04-15-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
Gee Whiz Bubba ! You are going to be the only sailor that pumps his waste tank by hand and swims to shore. Quit fighting it, you are overthinking things, if there was a better way most people would use it. People buy sailboats because they WANT them, you buy a dinghy because you NEED it to fully utilize the potential of the sailboat.
And you don't need an inflatable floor or a RID, rollups and wood floors are cheaper and more plentiful used.
Old 04-15-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
Ok... It sounds like everyone is having fun with the responses... But seriously...

Is it really that difficult to find an open slip or a dock side tie up that at places like I mentioned? If so, is it a problem with overcrowding, or is it a problem with having a relatively deep draft vessel (as compared to power boats)?

The cheapest non-pool-toy dinghy I can find with an inflatable bottom is $400 + tax... And anything with a rigid bottom starts at $1000... It seems like it would take a lot of overnight slip rental fees to add up to that cost.
My experience on the Chesapeake has been that slips are generally available but you definitely should call ahead to make a reservation as far in advance as possible. If you are staying in a slip, you don't need a dinghy. However, since slips run around $100 per night you'll soon have exceeded the cost of a used dinghy. Besides, the real joy is finding a nice anchorage and spending the night on the hook. You won't need a dinghy there either, so long as you won't be going ashore or visiting neighboring boats. If you're one of those boaters traveling with a dog... you need a dinghy, I've never seen a dog swim ashore, do its business and then swim back to the boat.

Can you cruise without a dinghy? Yes. Will you be happy having a dinghy? Yes.

Here's an option, try going without until you decide it is a good thing to buy.

Regards...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 04-15-2009

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Buy one that can be deflated and stored in the lazarette or somewhere. Last weekend our dingy flipped over and over in 30+ gusts on the Pamlico River. It was quite a sight and every time we tried to pull it in it flipped again. The inflatable floor fell out but stayed attached, but we lost our keel. Dingy's are a PITA, but I think they are pretty much essential. Towing them is a hassle for a lot of reasons.
Old 04-15-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
The dinghy opens a lot of new territory, and oppurtunities while sailing. When the hook is down you can use the dink to explore. Maybe get up into some wetlands, or just cruise the neighborhood's backyards.

No matter what kind of dink you decide on. Once you have one you will wonder how you did without it.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!