Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Any such thing as too much anchor ?

I just found a really good deal a used Delta 44lb anchor, but the Lewmar website is saying that this is designed for 50-60ft and I'd be using it for a 30 C&C.

I haven't measured the anchor locker but I suspect it's not going to fit in there, so it would have to be stowed below and brought up on deck when needed.

I'm thinking it would give me total peace of mind sleeping through the night on that big of a hook. But is a 44lb plow going to be difficult to break loose and raise without a winch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
That's a lot of anchor for your boat, especially in the Chesapeake where holding tends to be quite good.

Stowing it below and bringing it on deck when needed will be a major nuisance, not to mention a big mess belowdecks. Also, there is a big safety margin associated with having the anchor on deck and easily deployed. Beyond the likelihood of it not fitting in your anchor locker, it might not fit on your bow roller either, and will require comparably heavy chain and shackles.

Bacon's in Annapolis has piles of used anchors. You should be able to find a +/- 30 pounder Bruce, Delta, or CQR that will be a better fit to your boat and still give you plenty of confidence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-15-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

I doubt it'll fit in the anchor locker either, but I'll measure out the locker just so I know for future reference anyway.

Oh... and there isn't a bow roller yet... So any anchor I do use will have to be man handled back up to the deck. Right now it has a fluke anchor, which I haven't noted the poundage on. But it looks like it's probably the minimum required for a 30 footer, which wouldn't make me comfortable anchoring in anything more than calm conditions with it.
Old 04-15-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You can place it in chocks on the deck, and toss it over when needed. You are very correct....you will sleep in complete confidence on no dragging. I used a 33lb Bruce on my 30ftr., and my problem was getting it back on the boat, but I slept well... ...i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-15-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
A 25 Delta would be the right hook for your 30, I have used a 35 Delta on my 17000 pound displacement 36 and always appreciated the aid of the windlass for picking it up. You would not want to raise a 45 and chain by hand.
Old 04-15-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Any such thing as too much anchor ?

Possibly.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-15-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
TDY, THAT would be too much anchor...!!!
Old 04-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think that you'll find the Delta overkill and a PITA to haul without a windlass. If you figure the chain and the Delta is going to be at least 70 lbs... so how fit are you and how good is your back??

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
I just found a really good deal a used Delta 44lb anchor, but the Lewmar website is saying that this is designed for 50-60ft and I'd be using it for a 30 C&C.

I haven't measured the anchor locker but I suspect it's not going to fit in there, so it would have to be stowed below and brought up on deck when needed.

I'm thinking it would give me total peace of mind sleeping through the night on that big of a hook. But is a 44lb plow going to be difficult to break loose and raise without a winch?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Well, if anyone else is in the DC MD VA area is interested in it. There's a guy over in Alexandria VA selling a used Delta 44 for $250.

Craigslist
Old 04-15-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
If you get an anchor, Backcreek, I'd definitely suggest getting that dinghy your considering....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.