Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrynlouisville View Post
Hello All.

I really went over her today and found a few things.
The person helping me is familiar with this model.

He really looked hard at the box that surrounds the drop rudder.
He said it was solid.

The only problem is softness in the fiberglass at the chain plate and the fastener where the slide attaches for the boom.
It is only soft on the port side.
It is not soft to walk on the deck at all...just if you really press your thumb around where these plates are fastened.
I have decided to just get some stainless backing plates (or wood) and back plate from the interior.
This should reinforce this area just fine for many, many years.
This is a really, really bad idea. You really should replace the core in the areas around the chainplates, and then properly seal off the core immediately adjacent to the chain plates and fill that area with thickened epoxy. This will repair the damage and prevent it from re-occurring. A cored laminate loses most of its strength if the core material is rotted.

Quote:
Also, what really seems to concern this guy was the fact that it has a four inch dimple (depression) in the mast...about two feet from the top.
I don't see why...doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Someone totally covered this dimple by wrapping a rope around the mast to tie it down to the stern support.
Very likely a point of failure for the mast under high loads. Try taking an undamaged empty soda can and pressing down on it...Unless you're very big, it can probably support your weight. That's a sailboat's mast. Now, take the same can and put a small dent in the side... and press down on it—that's your mast with a dent in it.

Quote:
The keel wire looks good.

Looks like the boat should be fine for this area.
I think that the key is to spend as little as possible and just acclimate myself to sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook