Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Anyone Need A New Project Boat

I don't really understand what is going on with this bboat, but found it interesting when I was out making some site visits for work and thought I would share some pictures.

The grid work is like a 2" welded steel pipe around the whlole boat including the deck and cockpit. very odd.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They're converting to a Ferrocement boat..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-17-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
My first guess is that it's a sculpture. The sculptor is using the hull as a mold, and will now cut the sculpture in half, transport it to the installation site, and re-weld it together. Then he'll build the mast & sails at the installation site.

My second guess is that it's the marine version of "The Club".
Old 04-17-2009

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Interesting idea on the sculpture, the amount of vines and stuff that are on the boat if thats the case he has lost his vision, and given up on the project.
Old 04-17-2009

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
It's the production molds (hull and deck) for a boat. The pipe framework supports the mold:

Based on the shape, it looks like something from the early 70s. Probably someone picked it up at a builder's bankruptcy auction years ago thinking they'd build themselves a custom yacht. (His wife probably told him to hide it somewhere.)

So, yes, it is a project opportunity. From the gelcoat up.

Tim
Old 04-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't think so...that one looks to have a deck and cabintop... Tough to use the mold if it is enclosed like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp34 View Post
It's the production molds (hull and deck) for a boat. The pipe framework supports the mold:

Based on the shape, it looks like something from the early 70s. Probably someone picked it up at a builder's bankruptcy auction years ago thinking they'd build themselves a custom yacht. (His wife probably told him to hide it somewhere.)

So, yes, it is a project opportunity. From the gelcoat up.

Tim

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-17-2009

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I don't think so...that one looks to have a deck and cabintop... Tough to use the mold if it is enclosed like that.
That's molds, not mold. Someone put the deck mold on top of the hull mold. Makes them easier to move together, and protects the mold surfaces from the weather.

(Some builders would lay up a hull and not take it out of the mold before storing the mold outside. This would protect the mold inside surface from the weather. There's a story that when Migrator Yachts bought the molds for the Block Island 40, they found a hull inside... )
Old 04-17-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
I think I saw that a while ago, was doing some work in saginaw and kawkawlin, wandered over to check out the bay. (I'm a wanderer, if there's a direct route somewhere, I prefer finding a more interesting route) Remember trying to figure out what the deal was with it.

Gramp's post clears it up.

The only molds I've seen were for smaller boats, and the stiffening and supports etc were built up out of fiberglass and wood as part of the molds themselves. Now htat it's been pointed out, it's one of those 'duh' moments

Ken.
Old 04-17-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Columbia34 View Post
I don't really understand what is going on with this bboat, but found it interesting when I was out making some site visits for work and thought I would share some pictures.

The grid work is like a 2" welded steel pipe around the whlole boat including the deck and cockpit. very odd.

It's sad to see passion lost, a dream unfulfilled, even if one tries it unconventionly out in a field. Luckily the passion lives on, in those who dare to be unconventional. Well, like these guys...YouTube - EDS airplane television commercial
Old 04-18-2009

Ken I see you are from west michigan, if you seen this you seen it closer to home we live in battle creek, but keep our boat in bay city where my wifes family is from. this boat/ molds was here in our area that the light there in downtown allegan head south and its about half way to copper or so on the east side of the road. I work for consumers energy and was out making some field checks and seen it, and thought it was interesting.

Scott