Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
The problem has been that there just isn't a whole lot on the market in our target size/price range. We even upped the budget 50% and still. There have been a lot of almosts but even though we've broadened our search and relaxed our lists of wants, we still can't find a reasonable boat.

I've had two different brokers complain about the number of listings. It seems to them that the economy is encouraging people to hang on to their boats rather than selling them.

We were trying to stay local but have since opened up the search to include the Southeast US. I swore I did not want a production boat as I am an "old shoe" kinda gal but if I want to go off cruising with my husband and daughter in the next year, I think I's better relax my stance a bit. I don't think our budget is unreasonable at all. I just think maybe more people are upside down than I previously thought and maybe they can't sell for what the boat is actually worth.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Mimsy,
I responded with out knowing all the conditions.
Of course every purchase is different. I am just relaying our experince.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-17-2009
Big Chicken Baby

I'm just jealous of your experience sailorjk1. I called on two boats off of yachtworld only to find that they have been delisted.

At least I did not have to stick my head in a sewage filled bilge, unlike yesterday. lol
Old 04-17-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I also spent two years looking, mostly in the Northeast. When I finally found a good deal on just the right boat (confirmed by plenty of photos, and long talks with the seller) I flew to Florida to inspect it myself. A couple of weeks later, I flew back to sea trial and purchase. You'll find the right one.
Old 04-17-2009

justdreaming is on a distinguished road
broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by resdog View Post
I have purchased 2 boats from the same broker over the years and got both of them for what I thought was a fabulous price - way under value - because the boats were absolutely filthy, had 2 or 3 inches of standing water on the cabin sole, etc. Both owners were out of state and counting on this broker to sell their boats. I would never use this guy to sell but I'll continue to buy from him.
would you like to share the brokers name and number
Old 04-17-2009

AlCameron is on a distinguished road
It does go both ways people...I was trying to sell my pride and joy, cleaned her up, took off all my gear I didn't want to part with, cleaned the bottom, serviced the winches, I even cleaned the sink (okay that really needed to be done). I swear the every time the broker came down to show the boat I found something new they had broken. First it was the plexiglas over the engine controls, then it was the engine kill knob (pulled the backing nut clean off), next was a switch on the electric panel. None of these things were in poor shape, just ham fisted people not showing any respect for other people's property. The absolute best offer, after trying to negotiate, any of these chuckle-heads could come up with was more than $10K below market value. Lucky for me the job transfer I thought was in the cards dried up (kinda like the boat market) and I've fixed all the "tire kicker" damage and still have a wonderful boat...and live in a wonderful place, time to go clean the bottom again so I can go sailing
Old 04-17-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Aww Al, I am sorry that people did not respect your property. That sucks.
Old 04-17-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
I hear you Mimsy. I am looking as well, though I have yet to actually visit a listing because I still haven't narrowed down the search from 28 to 32 feet, prefer fractional rig with tiller. I love the Telstar 28 and Maine Cat 30 but both are above my price range.
I was in the real estate biz and it's similiar to being a boat broker. Key is start developing relationships with good boat brokers. The last week I've had 2 brokers tell me they expect a lot of listings to be coming on the market, as this is the traditional time, we'll see, eh ?
I always went to preview a house before showing it no matter how pressured I might be. If it was my own listing and the owner didn't care to listen to my advice about best way to present for selling, I gave the buyer a heads up. If I had my way, I would have had weekly cleanings scheduled, etc. but many owners just don't see the wisdom or the cost justification in that.
Right now, I'm in the narrow it down phase - Pearson 30 or 323, Eriscon 28 to 32, Sabre, Contessa 32, Columbia 8.7 or larger.
I prefer to sail them before I see a listing and go for sea trial. May not be possible but that's my hope. So far I've only sailed the Columbia 8.7 which I really like, but wish it had a fractional rig. Lovely tiller though. I used to prefer wheel, after my experience with the Columbia, I love the tiller and feel there is much more space with it and better ability to single or short hand which is what I'll be doing.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 04-17-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Mimsy, an "Old Shoe" huh. How about an Angleman Ketch? I just saw something on another forum from folks who are in a bind and need to move their dream. I'd have to PM them as all I know is that they posted some pics and it's recession priced.

Here's the pic link:

Pictures by blackcougar3 - Photobucket
Old 04-17-2009
Big Chicken Baby

I'd love something like that, the husband not so much. Thanks for thinking of me though. Hopefully they find the right buyer soon.