Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
*An open letter to boat sellers*

Dear Boat Owner,

I appreciate that selling your beloved boat is difficult for you. You have fond memories of time spent out on the water with friends. You have more sweat equity in your boat than can ever be repaid. I know, I understand. That being said, there are a couple of points I'd like to mention.

1. Please do not ask me to get excited about the fact that you had a bottom job done on your boat x number of years ago. Your boat is 20 years old, this is called maintenance. This is especially true if you are the original owner and this was the first time you've actually paid any attention to the bottom in 20 years of ownership. I promise in exchange to not expect you to get excited that I changed my oil once in 15,000 miles when you go to buy my car.

2. Replacing busted blocks with pulleys from Home Depot does not constitute " all new rigging".

3. I understand that you paid a ginormous amount of money for your Superphonic Funkmaster 3000 speakers that are mounted in the cockpit so that all of your marina neighbors can have their heartbeat changed by the bass frequency. That doesn't necessarily constitute added value for me and no, I am not going to pay 4k over the insured value of the boat for them.

4. If your winches are completely frozen, you might not want to list them as a feature.

5. Likewise, if you are listing a sail inventory you might want to think twice if the sails are mildewed and ripped.

6. Yes, BUC and NADA are on the low end of valuation and Boat Wizard can only tell you what these boats have been selling for but no, they are not "total crap" and no, your boat is not worth 150% more than any of these suggested values just because "that's what I have in the boat". You bought it years ago, its a depreciating asset. This might be the reason your boat has been for sale for 2 years with no offers.

7. If you have a scheduled showing of your boat, on the day of the showing it might be a good idea to take out the empty trash bag of beer cans from the sink and the leftovers from your Popeye's Fried Chicken from a week ago. What is definitely a good idea is to pickup the dirty underwear off of the settee.

Your still boatless pal,
Mimsy

( And yes, these are all real instances from the last 3 weeks of looking. Thought I'd start looking at FSBO boats. Maybe not the most time efficient way to find a boat, back to Yachtworld it is)

Last edited by Mimsy; 04-17-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Damn, you could write a book based on the last 3 weeks alone!

I won't tell you about the overpriced, 'mint condition, meticulously maintained by owner' boat I looked at with my wife that was literally caked half an inch thick in seagull poo. The broker himself ended up vomitting over the side from the stench.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I bet they claim you are wasting their time too ? Hopefully things will improve for you soon.. ....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, there are a lot of boat owners that think their boat is worth its weight in gold ballast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Dear Boat Owner,

I appreciate that selling your beloved boat is difficult for you. You have fond memories of time spent out on the water with friends. You have more sweat equity in your boat than can ever be repaid. I know, I understand. That being said, there are a couple of points I'd like to mention.

1. Please do not ask me to get excited about the fact that you had a bottom job done on your boat x number of years ago. Your boat is 20 years old, this is called maintenance. This is especially true if you are the original owner and this was the first time you've actually paid any attention to the bottom in 20 years of ownership. I promise in exchange to not expect you to get excited that I changed my oil once in 15,000 miles when you go to buy my car.

2. Replacing busted blocks with pulleys from Home Depot does not constitute " all new rigging".

3. I understand that you paid a ginormous amount of money for your Superphonic Funkmaster 3000 speakers that are mounted in the cockpit so that all of your marina neighbors can have their heartbeat changed by the bass frequency. That doesn't necessarily constitute added value for me and no, I am not going to pay 4k over the insured value of the boat for them.

4. If your winches are completely frozen, you might not want to list them as a feature.

5. Likewise, if you are listing a sail inventory you might want to think twice if the sails are mildewed and ripped.

6. Yes, BUC and NADA are on the low end of valuation and Boat Wizard can only tell you what these boats have been selling for but no, they are not "total crap" and no, your boat is not worth 150% more than any of these suggested values just because "that's what I have in the boat". You bought it years ago, its a depreciating asset. This might be the reason your boat has been for sale for 2 years with no offers.

7. If you have a scheduled showing of your boat, on the day of the showing it might be a good idea to take out the empty trash bag of beer cans from the sink and the leftovers from your Popeye's Fried Chicken from a week ago. What is definitely a good idea is to pickup the dirty underwear off of the settee.

Your still boatless pal,
Mimsy

( And yes, these are all real instances from the last 3 weeks of looking. Thought I'd start looking at FSBO boats. Maybe not the most time efficient way to find a boat, back to Yachtworld it is)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-17-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
That's all classic stuff!!

Our search took 2+ years.

But it was all good.
Old 04-17-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Mimsy

you are dead on with these...somehow when the seller owns it, it is worth $$$$, yet when you own it, it is only worth $.

Having been on both ends - I second the bottom paint, as if it were the magic thing. When I sold my Sabre, at the first offer I told the potential buyer, she needs bottom paint, and if you want her, will pay up to $XXX for paint, or you can have it painted "your way". In either case he got to see the real bottom. I think sometimes a seller just paints the bottom to hide or cover over something.

I would also add for the current owner to remove those things that will not go with the boat and for brokers/owners to use real pictures of the boat for sale, not something close. That burns me to find out when you get there, the boat doesn't match the photos, or half the safety gear "doesn't go" after you have made an offer.

Good luck on your search...I have a nice hunter if you are interested.

dave
Old 04-17-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
My favorite was the beer, fried chicken dirty undies boat. It was more akin to a clubhouse for the "He Man Women Haters Club' than a sailing vessel. I imagine the owner hanging out with his friends Bubba, JP and Earl watching the game in their underwear. I try to stop imagining when I try to come up for a reason for the tighty whiteys to come off and land on the settee...lol

Fortunately, I have a sense of humor about these things. The flip side is that I saw an older boat than I normally would have considered that really has been well taken care of and because I appreciate this, I am willing to entertain the thought of paying a bit more than actual value. Hard to say at this time because I really don't like the master cabin being up front...it has been well cared for though.

Last edited by Mimsy; 04-17-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Well said, Mimsy! It's amazing what some sellers' expectations are, and how far they are from reality. I'd add that the brokers should take on some accountability, and that they too should make an effort to ensure that any listed boats are in show-able condition and clean. We've looked at boats that we were afraid to sit down in for lack of cleaning, mildew/mold, etc.

The brokers' cut can be substantial for rather minimal effort, in our experience.

Not exactly putting on their best "face" for any prospective buyer.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-17-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
I have purchased 2 boats from the same broker over the years and got both of them for what I thought was a fabulous price - way under value - because the boats were absolutely filthy, had 2 or 3 inches of standing water on the cabin sole, etc. Both owners were out of state and counting on this broker to sell their boats. I would never use this guy to sell but I'll continue to buy from him.
Old 04-17-2009

TomRay is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TomRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'd add that the brokers should take on some accountability, and that they too should make an effort to ensure that any listed boats are in show-able condition and clean. We've looked at boats that we were afraid to sit down in for lack of cleaning, mildew/mold, etc.
I work at a brokerage, and our business is finding buyers and selling boats. We're not a detailing outfit. With about 80 listings (really a low number for us), we would have to clean over two boats a day just to keep the average boat in "cleaned within the last month" condition. A month can be a long time in tropical Florida. I can suggest to owners that they hire people who ARE in the cleaning business, or that they clean their boats, do routine maintenance, remove clutter, etc. but that's all I can really do.