Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009

dreamalbin is on a distinguished road
skipper from Fort Myers Fl to Charleston NC,

Folks, here's the story.

I introduced my self yesterday under "Big Pirate" heading. My brother and I, bought a beautiful Albin Ballad 30'.

My brother has hardly ever been on a boat. Needless to say, it was my idea. It's a dream come through and despite all the hurdles I am and will enjoy it (Sailor talk in a storm).

Here's the story, I am in Canada working for the boat's expenses. Initially, I went down and closed the transaction, checked the boat out and 48 hours later hopped on the plane back home. My neighbors at the live aboard marina, offered to finish some of the works. Great folks but clinically unreliable. I still love the folks but wouldn't go hunting with them (I don't hunt ).

We decided with my brother to pay a skipper, basically paying all expenses including flight meals car rental cell phone etc ... for the experience. Now, the gentleman is not a professional but has a 24 footer and apparently has sailed across oceans! We also did his wife a favor, she wanted him out (nice guys, heh). His brother is a great friend of mine and I took his word. The fellow was very excited and flew down a couple days before my brother showed up. 24 hours later we get this message, "can not do it". Blaming it on so much work to be done, the boat etc ...

Not knowing the boat, one would say; He might have a point and maybe we've invited the fellow on a compromised boat. Well not true, but still I went back and called the surveyor that passed the boat with flying colors, called the rigger that went over the boat and gave us a positive opinion except he wanted to rake the mast aft (which we didn't ignore but preferred to take the boat out once and see for ourselves how it behaves). Everyone re-iterated the same findings; The boat is as good as it can be. There are no problems with its integrity whatsoever. Brand new diesel Westerbeke 20Hp with 40 hours, all filters changed, the bottom scraped by a diver, the fuel tank vacuumed and flushed then refilled, brand new batteries, the main sail serviced with a healthy report card, and of course some more can be done, but which boat does not?

To make this a bit shorter, the "skipper" chickened out (period).

That does not bother me a bit, good thing his nerves gave ashore and not when the Gods are mad at sea. I'd hate to hold his hand there.
However, we're in a jam. My brother along with a friend/hired hand can not bring the boat back. They have ten days to do it and no hope in sight unless we haul the boat out and truck it (I'll stop here).

Anyone out there willing to help?

Honestly after all said and done, I am not willing to pay someone $350 a day for the job. If I had the time, I'd do it, but to discover people and pay for that is a bit too steep for me now.

So please, if anyone has a constructive suggestion be my guest and pitch in an idea or many. They have to be humorous and funny (just kidding. I meant practical and cheap ). They have to be different and the gentleman that chickened out already will not be considered. So, M********..e if you are reading this don't even try. I love you from a distance. Let's not meet .
Others, can inquire, offer or ...

Cheers, Edgard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Edgard--

That entire trip can be made on the inside if one has the patience. Up the Caloosahatchie River to Lake Ochiechobee--across the Lake--and then down the St. Lucie Canal to the ICW thence north. The only sailing would be across the Lake and perhaps some of the stretchs up the ICW with an unfurled jib. Frankly, with a few days of training it's likely that your brother and a pal could do the trip without too much difficulty as long as you plan the routes beforehand and make arrangements with the marina's along the route. It might be a little boring--I always find motoring in the ICW crushingly boring after a few hours--but it's not that difficult. Just sign up for a towing assistence plan with someone like SeaTow or better, join BoatUS with the unlimited towing plan (about $120 USD) which will entitle you to towing assistance when they go aground (they will) and get you discounts at various marinas and fuel docks along the way. Preplanning the legs and stops is the key (figure 50+/- miles per day). AN check with the Corp. of Engineers to ensure the locks on the cross-florida route will be working when you need them.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-19-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
USCG licensed Master, 40 years sailing experience, 20 years delivery experience. Daily rate $250. With crew $400 a day plus expenses! I could do the job single hand it would just take longer but not by much. If you are interested let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
Edgard,Hope you enjoyed your baptism under fire enroute to Charleston.That was some weather we had off the coast of Florida.She took care of us well. Sorry you couldn't make the final leg of the delivery. Drop me an e-mail and let me know how things are going, Scott