Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
what/how to get a port supply card

title says it, what do i need to do to get a port supply card. i have an llc, and could get a state reg business name
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
The requirements and procedures for getting a PS account is posted on the PS web site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-20-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Yeah, don't drag us into your little scam.
Old 04-20-2009

not a scam, just curious. i am a licensed electrician. and i do some work on boats that are not mine.

i did re check the PS site, and i found how to apply. i meet most of whats needed except the total money spent, of which i am about 500 short. i guess i could even cover that but not thru legit means.

i guess i keep using the one i have access to, but not 100 % access like i would like.

i was just hoping
Old 04-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
not a scam...

i meet most of whats needed except the total money spent, of which i am about 500 short.
Of course it's a scam. You don't even meet the most basic condition of qualifying for a Port Supply account, which is being engaged in a marine-related business full-time.
Old 04-20-2009

well you are right on the full time part. i did not really think of that part, because when i asked about it the store once they just said "do you have a business working on boats?" i said not a real one but i could. they said come back when i had business, they said nothing about full time.
i have access to one, the charity that i bought my boat from has one and i use it on their boats and mine. i just dont have a card, they just buy what i tell them i need

oh well
Old 04-20-2009

Well, you ain't the only average joe boater who has considered pulling the wool over Port Supply's eyes. Just makes qualifying for and keeping an account that much harder for legitimate marine businesses like mine.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 04-20-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2009

well i dont plan on pulling the wool anywhere. if i did more work i would get it, with the exception of full time, which i believe is BS anyway. if i can meet all the specs they call for and only work 10 hours a week that is my choice.

i have a business now, and could expand it to cover boats as well. but at this point i dont do enough to be "legit" there fore i wont
Old 04-20-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Well, you ain't the only average joe boater who has considered pulling the wool over Port Supply's eyes. Just makes qualifying for and keeping an account that much harder for legitimate marine businesses like mine.
With respect, if you are a legitimate business you should have no trouble "qualifying for and keeping an account". The parameters for this appear to be clearly defined and if you comply, you comply. This is not taken away from you by someone else trying to score a discount.

Keeping a first class vessel is an expensive business and any "help" I can get to save some of the expense I will use, provided it doesn't include stealing.

The reality is that suppliers who have a two-tiered pricing structure (one for the trade and another for the suckers ) are selling to the "legitimate" tradesmen at a price that leaves both buyer and supplier profitable and then they make some REAL cream by shafting the non-trade customers like Scotty and I (and most other Sailnetters).

I'll bet that when you buy stuff for your own boat you don't offer to pay the retail price for it. Right?? So please save us the sanctimonious lesson.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This is why West Marine gets as little of my business as is humanly possible.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.