Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009

tim370 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone! I'm hoping for a little bit of help :)

Hi all,

I'm from Sydney, Australia and have been sailing since my dad took me out for the first time at age 5. He's been an avid sailor over the years and owns a 23ft southerly (its seen better days but it does the job around the harbour).

However it is in the research for my final year Industrial Design university degree that caused me to stumble across this site. I am looking into space management on board pleasure yachts (specifically mono-hull, non-commercial yachts) not power boats or catamarans, with an emphasis on sail management. The idea is to research the topic, identify problems and ultimately develop a product that can solve the main problem i've identified. Its a killer of an assessment and after discussions with my tutor, he feels that the best way to gain an understanding of the current situation and problems, is to survey a range of people with sailing experience.

Therefore I have developed a really quick survey (it will take approximately 3mins max) that will make a huge difference in guiding my research for this paper. If anyone could help me out and answer a few questions I would be unbelievably grateful! Just click this link below:

Spatial issues and sail management on board yachts

I apologise for using this forum to aid in my research but it has the potential to help so much.

Thank you so much for reading at least to this point and happy sailing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2009

I actually got quite a few responses on my last survey about storage issues that it showed a few interesting themes, one major area being the management and storage of headsails. So thank you to everyone who took a few moments to provide their feedback - it has been incredibly valuable.

In fact it has been so valuable, that I was hoping I could push my luck and get a few more thoughts on existing sail management methods and storage solutions. The final part of my paper is looking at the positives and negatives of each system being used and determining what will make a good design for my major project. I've drawn up 10 quick questions which again are mostly multiple choice and should only take a few minutes to complete.

Once again, any thoughts on the matter will be extremely beneficial & I promise this will be the last one I post. Just click the link below to begin the survey. Thanks again!

Methods of managing & storing headsails
Old 04-29-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim370 View Post

Spatial issues and sail management on board yachts

I apologise for using this forum to aid in my research but it has the potential to help so much.
Your link got me this response:

"This survey is currently closed. Please contact the author of this survey for further assistance"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-29-2009

Thanks for the heads up Omatako. That first survey is one I ran about a week ago and managed to get 100 responses (which is the maximum I can can get with the survey monkey account that I have).

So I have just done a new one which is the link "Methods of Managing and Storing Headsails" which is a bit more focused on the trends I picked up in the first one - so just ignore the link in my first post (its all finished now) - its the one I posted today thats active which i'm trying to get responses for.

Thanks for helping out!

Also, if anyone is interested i'm happy to post the results when its done. Just let me know if you'd like to see them.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2009

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I'm only 5 responses shy of the total amount that I need to start writing this section of the report!

If anyone can spare just a few minutes it would be extremely appreciative!

Please let me know if you have any queries!

Thanks!
Tim

Click the link to complete the survey:
Methods of managing & storing headsails
Old 05-03-2009

Thank you to everyone who completed the survey! I have received the maximum number of responses allowed for that survey so it is now closed.

Thank you again to all who helped! Its made a massive difference to my paper!
Old 05-03-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
It would be interesting to hear some of your findings. Please post a short summary when you can Tim.
Thanks.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.