Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009

daddybob49 is on a distinguished road
Used sails

I am looking for used sails to create unique shade areas in my back yard. Does anyone want to recycle their sails. My wife was an Art major at San Diego State, and is very creative.
My younger daughter graduates from USD on May 24th. She wants a back yard graduation party. I want to make the back yard very special!
Thanks, bob, 619-318-2426
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
More Information Needed

Bob,

I have no used sails - I'm using the only two I have. But if I did, there is additional information I would want to know. To help others make their decision more quickly, here they are:
  • Do you want to borrow or keep the used sails?
  • If borrow, do you intend to return them in the same condition they arrived, or will you cut them?
  • If you don't want to return them, what do you intend to do with them after the party?
  • Will you pay shipping (or shipping to/from if returning)?
  • Will you distribute or post pics (e.g. taken before the party)?
  • Do you have size limits?
  • Are there particular colors in the sails that interest you?
  • Are there any colors you wish to avoid?
  • Are rips, tears, holes, or wear spots OK, or do you want only good-looking sails?

Hope this helps you find some willing folks!
Pasadena, MD
Old 04-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Along with what dacap said, I'd recommend you contact the local sailing clubs. If they have a racing program, there's a very good chance that you might be able to get used sails that they're retiring from them.

As a general rule, more complete information is better than less...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-22-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
There are several suppliers that deal in used sails.
The following links are to three of them. The problem I see, is that after many years of service, these used sails are not in the best of shape and many will be dirty and stained, not exactly what I would want for an out door backyard canopy/art project.

Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker

The Sailwarehouse

Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-22-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
If you are looking for freebies post an ad on the san diego locale of craigslist. Post it in the boat section and not the wanted section. You'll get some traction there and also look at posting on the local West Marine bulletin board of a store that is close to you.

Good luck

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
might also try freecycle.org

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.