Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009

parttimesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Are you talking to me? Are you talking to ME? Ya must be talk... oh wait, I've seen that movie. Nah, ya ain't talking to me, not about this old girl anyways...

Old shoe she ain't...
...beautiful she is.
Old 04-23-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
An Old Shoe...

Our boat is an old shoe. Shoal draft and beamy...If I could swing it, I'd get an IP or Hans Christian. I like comfort...more than racing.
Old 04-23-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
But G didn't mean it as an insult. I'm guessing the Portugese have complicated relationships with boats, the way Americans do with cars. Consider the '56 Cadillac.

Compared to modern cars, it's objectively a turd. It had a huge engine, but no horsepower. The ride was soft -- but it cornered like a pregnant sow. Braking, acceleration, suspension, lumbar support, safety, climate control, radio ... all inadequate for modern needs. And reliability? You'd probably get 50k out of her before every major system started to fail. A new Lexus is infinitely better in every way.

And yet ... and yet. People lust for the old Caddys. People polish all that chrome and add pinstripes and hang fuzzy dice on the rearview. *shrug* The boats I like are rugged, wet, cramped, and fairly slow. But they make my heart go pitty-pat in a way modern boats do not. Charlie's Oh Joy speaks to me more than a poochy white Beneteau.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2009

adru is on a distinguished road
Big cars are often called boats. My folks old Town & Country station wagon used to be a big old boat. The body seemed to float above the chassis and it turned and stopped with as much finesse as the Titanic trying to avoid an iceberg.
"Never pray for an easier life - pray to be a stronger person! Never pray for tasks equal to your power - pray for power equal to your tasks. Then doing your work will be no miracle - you will be the miracle." Phillips Brooks
Old 04-24-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
From reading earlier posts about "old shoes" it seems to me an old shoe is any boat that some other smart-a$$ with a fancy boat thinks isn't as good as his.

If your boat (or the one you want to buy) meets your needs in terms of speed, comfort, safety and operational cost then it's a good boat even when the said smart-a$$ says it's not.
yes...just confirmed by suspicions...you are an idiot...and one with class, courage and poise, too...likes to say things, when people aren't here to defend themselves...true man...
Old 04-24-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I don't really care that my boat is an old shoe. If I wanted to go fast and shiny, I would have a motorcycle, not a sailboat!
Old 04-24-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
yes...just confirmed by suspicions...you are an idiot...and one with class, courage and poise, too...likes to say things, when people aren't here to defend themselves...true man...
Gui once again you are taking things too personally...

Old shoe has it beginnings in about the mid 1800's boat wise. At that time up until the mid 1930s boats were designed with large everything. It was the smell however that in the 1960's got popularized the saying "old shoe". Nautically that meant that you walked on and the boat had an aura of being well used. Kinda like your favorite slippers or foot wear. But it was also about design.

Stephenson and Sparksman ( tilting a bit back here so mind me) introduced some of the slimmer versions of sail boats we see today. Prior to - everything was about functionality. How much cargo can it hold etc. When you look through history and realize that up to about 1920-30's - sailboats were not a nomenclature common to the rest of of us.

Old shoe refers to classics that have distinct flairs and personailty (determined by smell, shape, etc...). Hard to nail down where the saying was first nailed in - but, when you look at the older wooden boats etc one can se where the overlap of an old shoe and boat design for the masses overlap...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-24-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Jody..what the hell are you talking about??

yes..it was me that invented the old shoe name...nothing of it is what that guy from down under, all self important is talking about...it has nothing to do with age..on the contrary...

Old Shoes are the Valiants, the Cabo Rico's the Hans Slowensens...and the new boats they make now that weigh 45 tons, and sail like crap, in exchange of "solid" blue water reputations..filled with useless wood trims, and other features...boats that look like sailboats, with bow sprits and short masts, and sailplans of optimists, with gigantic head sails that go nowhere, whose owners spend more time feeding diesel pumps than sailing!!

And can't sail if the wind is high, and can' sail if there is no wind..

That's an old shoe!!

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-24-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Jody..what the hell are you talking about??

yes..it was me that invented the old shoe name...nothing of it is what that guy from down under, all self important is talking about...it has nothing to do with age..on the contrary...

Old Shoes are the Valiants, the Cabo Rico's the Hans Slowensens...and the new boats they make now that weigh 45 tons, and sail like crap, in exchange of "solid" blue water reputations..filled with useless wood trims, and other features...boats that look like sailboats, with bow sprits and short masts, and sailplans of optimists, with gigantic head sails that go nowhere, whose owners spend more time feeding diesel pumps than sailing!!

And can't sail if the wind is high, and can' sail if there is no wind..

That's an old shoe!!
Your describing new shoes that hope will be old...one day...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-24-2009

Jody..the truth is very very few ever understood what I mean by old shoe..then you get guys that think they know what I mean and get all defensive and what not, of their boats..and tell everyone they have old shoes and are proud of them..nha nha nha..and Alex is mean..he said my boat's an old shoe,,bad man..bad man...when I never said anything about their boats (I don't even care what boats they have..really don't)
..they did!!!! but get mad at me........I actually enjoy seeing them bite the bones and get all feisty...

you know what? let them have the bone....I am slowly fading away...better things to do...sloooowly dropping the lines....and vanishing in the horizon..in my clorox bottle....other places to visit...other folks to meet....while the bones get chewed.....over here...vanishing...slowly.....

good bye...old friends..good bye......

everything in life has a birth..a life and a death...everything has a cycle...mine's done, end of cycle....just done...we have memories..that's all...

you know where you can find me.....

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-24-2009 at 01:30 AM.