Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Two words, Alex:

Teak. Decks.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
An old shoe is usually well worn and in need of some brightwork; but once re-soled and polished it still looks has it's classic good looks and feels better than a new "made in china" shoe ever will.

I don't think anyone has called your boat a bleach bottle or a poorly designed or built boat Giu; on the contrary and I'm sure that many people wish they could buy a new boat like yours. But many people here find themselves in the position of not wanting to buy what is currently available in the market of new racer/cruisers because of either construction quality (which is by far inferior to your boat); or cost (~10/20k per foot for new vs 1/2k per foot for a used boat). So for many it's not a question of new or old shoe; it's more a question of "which old shoe fits best"?

When it comes to proven offshore designs many of the boats you list as "old shoes" are considered desirable for going across oceans. While I don't necessarily disagree with you about performance; they are proven designs for storm survival which is a consideration when "picking the right shoe". I would not go rock climbing in a pair of topsiders, or run a 10k in a pair of hiking boots.
Old 04-24-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'd love to have a boat like Giulietta. Who wouldn't want to be able to cruise at 10-14 knots and still have the niceties that are aboard her? Not having the coin for something like that, I went a totally different and unplanned route and am really happy I did.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 04-24-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Giulietta is gorgeous. Arctic Lady and Oh Joy are gorgeous as well, in a different way. The old eye of the beholder and all that.
An old shoe to me is comfortable, broken in, predictable and sturdy. I like old shoe boats but could be just as happy with a "new shoe", especially if the new shoe was an Oyster 575.

Just like the shoes I wear on my feet- on some days I like my LL Bean Duck boots ,on some days I prefer my Jimmy Choo's. It all depends on where I am going, who am I going with and what the weather is like!
Old 04-24-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Old shoe she ain't...
Indeed, and I note you use the mizzen as a riding sail at anchor. Does she "hunt" at anchor with that? I've seen a riding sail that looked like twin storm jibs over a single backstay, but not a mizzen.
Old 04-24-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
She doesn't hunt around much at all with the Mizzen up, unless the winds are light and variable. You have to sheet it hard though or she will hunt. I'm looking to add backing sheets to the Mizzen to address the slop when at center.
Old 04-24-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
As long as we do not have a clear defintion of an "Old Shoe", this is going to be based on feeling/myth/prejudice.
IMHO some boats (which I believe comes close to Giu's definition) are just "over-built". Recently i helped deliver a steel-boat that has almost all the characteristics that often gets associated with a bluewater boat. To make a long story short, it was too heavy, too slow, and did not have a nice motion in the steep seas we were sailing in, and I would NEVER cross an ocean in that boat.
Btw. I think Hal Roth said that he could sail figure 8's around a Westsail, and he owned a Wauquiez Pretorien, which he cruised extensively.

Last edited by JomsViking; 04-24-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Typo(s)
Old 04-24-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
yes...just confirmed by suspicions...you are an idiot...and one with class, courage and poise, too...likes to say things, when people aren't here to defend themselves...true man...
Clearly you are here to defend yourself . . . . and you feel a need to.

Welcome back (assuming you were ever gone.)

Oh Geeez, now we have to say goodbye all over again . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 04-24-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Since Giu coined the term, shouldn’t he be the one to define it? Out here on the coast “old shoes” are also known as “crab crushers”, “lead mines” and such. If you own one, embrace it, or buy a different boat. Westsails are affectionately known as “wet snails” and “went slow” for obvious reasons. And to show you that I’m an equal opportunity insulter, I sail a “Clorox bottle” also known as a “Winnebago”, though we affectionately call her our “family station wagon”.
Old 04-24-2009
On the hard

Now my little V-21 is a Clorox bottle...