Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009

SiXeVeN is on a distinguished road
A newbie question about 1st time bareboat.

A sailing buddy and I are looking to do a charter over an extended weekend out of San Diego. While contacting different Charter companies we have encountered demands that we spend a day to be "skipper" evaluated or that we must spend a day to have a refresher course completed. Or even worse, spend 2 days to do both. I understand they need to know who they are renting to but I would hate to waste a sailing day doing some refresher review.

Is this the norm? I haven't heard of others having to go through all this hassle before. Granted, I have little previous charter history so perhaps that is the issue.

BTW, I have been sailing for 15 years and a boat owner for 4 years now and sail regularly. I have had my fair share of "learning experiences" I really don't need a review course on how to hoist a main or dock a boat. Am I out of line to consider their request annoying and a waste of a good charter sailing day?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Six,

You are not out of line to challenge. e-mail them a sailing resume and see if they are willing to take that as assurance of capability.

I will admit that if it were my boat being chartered, I'd be very happy with the charter service. Nonetheless, having chartered in BVI, San Juan Islands and Chesapeake, it is not the norm in the business.

Wayne

Last edited by wwilson; 04-22-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
WoW Spammer

Thats the way to get our attention.??? I'm gonna buy that He/she really wants to sell stuff, huh? Makes you just want to go out and buy some Nigerian princess investment ops.

For the 'real' poster. Send your sailing resume' as suggested above and if they balk, go elsewhere. At most they should be happy w a checkout sail.Your holding the cards. $$$
Old 04-24-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I was hoping to here some answers to the orignal question. What the hell was that ! I feal violated.