Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009

Waterdog153 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=cormeum;546130]I have a 48 footer on Michigan and she's definitely NOT too large.

Thank you for the feedback. Your S&S looks like a beauty. What year is she?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2009
Gate Crasher

SoftJazz is on a distinguished road
I live on the east end of Lake Erie & we've seen several of those seiches this year. Each one caused damage. Most of them were at the end of the season, so as time progressed, there were fewer boats still in the water. One of the above posts said you can tie your boat up tightly to the docks. When they teach us to dock, we are taught not to do that, because of seiches & other phenomena we have around here. It's one of the reasons we like floating docks if we can get them. The water from Lake Erie funnels into the Niagara River here, so you've got a pretty good current in this area, & we've got tides, albeit not like the ocean has. And no salt. Each of the Great Lakes has some issue to deal with. I've been out when it suddenly blew 60, & we had no one to help us cuz everyone else was trying to figure out what to do.

That being said, I'll be doing my first salt-water sailing in April, when I'll be down in the Gulf for a week & a half sailing every day, rain or shine. It's not an ocean crossing but I'm willing to do almost anything once & am counting on enjoying this experience.

I'd also love to get out on Lake Ontario. Maybe next summer. I'd love to find out how it's different from Lake Erie.

As was previously mentioned, there are wrecks on the bottoms of the Great Lakes. Literally hundreds of them. We're not on the ocean, but the storms on big water like we have can take down anything. "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", the anniversary of which was November 10th, was on Lake Superior, known for its horrendous storms. I've been out in 6' - 8' waves, but I don't want to be out in what took that ship down.
Old 11-29-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Come all you bold young sailor lads who sail the briny breeze
And heed my tale of the men who sail the boats of the inland seas
You that scoff and jeer at the sailors here and think they have such ease
When the journey's short from the inland ports In the Lakes of A-mer-i-key
If you take your fleet where the water's sweet, there's something you should know
No quarter's shown when the gale wind's blowing' and the sky has filled with snow
When your decks are froze and the rail dips low there's nowhere left to flee
Then from bow to stern make a turtle turn on the Lakes of A-mer-i-key

CHORUS:
So say a prayer for those who dare to sail on the fresh north seas
If you drink too deep you'll forever sleep in the Lakes of A-mer-i-key

There's times I've seen when the water's green and the waves begin to freeze
That a close haul tack makes a wood hull crack from her scuppers to her knees
As you leave the boat and you try to float, no salt gives buoyancy
There's a waiting grave in the cold dark waves of the lakes of A-mer-i-key

CHORUS:

The winds come down with a wailing sound and the weather changes fast
it's a tempest in a teakettle as you run from the icy blast
And the calm will change to a mountain range as the whitecaps curl and break
Then the Sisters laugh and kick your aft to the bottom of the lake.

CHORUS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Great post Bubb2, that about sums it up! Is there a YouTube link for the musical version of this?

One of the lines ("As you leave the boat and you try to float, no salt gives buoyancy") reminds me of when a friend came boating with me on Lake Ontario and (despite having not swam in about 20 years) insisted on jumping in with no life vest. She jumped in feet-first and sank down quite a bit further than she remembered from swimming in the Atlantic. No more arguments about the virtues of wearing the vest.
Old 12-01-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I am a long time saltwater racer and not much has topped some of the sudden weather bursts that sneak over the mountains on Lake George NY
I haven't sailed the Great Lakes so not qualified to comment on the above but I have seen some serious line squalls (not visible on radar) in the ITCZ that come screaming out of the night and lift the windspeed from 15 kn to 60 kn in a heartbeat. I've had more than one sail shredded by this.

So ocean sailing has an equivalent at least (I think).

If you're sailing anywhere in the vicinity of a deep tropical low (within 200 miles), expect these squalls day or night, they don't take prisoners.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-01-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdog153 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
I have a 48 footer on Michigan and she's definitely NOT too large.

Thank you for the feedback. Your S&S looks like a beauty. What year is she?
Thanks Waterdog- She was built in 1963.
Old 12-01-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'm pretty sure CharlieCobra was scared when he felt the mighty wrath of our revered Lake Travis last New Year's day.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-01-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftJazz View Post
I live on the east end of Lake Erie & we've seen

That being said, I'll be doing my first salt-water sailing in April, when I'll be down in the Gulf for a week & a half sailing every day, rain or shine. It's not an ocean crossing but I'm willing to do almost anything once & am counting on enjoying this experience.
several of those seiches this year.

As was previously mentioned, there are wrecks on the bottoms of the Great Lakes. Literally hundreds of them. We're not on the ocean, but the storms on big water like we have can take down anything. "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", the anniversary of which was November 10th, was on Lake Superior, known for its horrendous storms. I've been out in 6' - 8' waves, but I don't want to be out in what took that ship down.
SoftJazz, come on down, you'll love the Gulf. Where will you be sailing?
Even in big storms, the Gulf is far less dangerous than the confined waters of the Great Lakes. Had the Edmund Fitzgerald been in the same size storm in the Gulf (the records say she was in winds to 45 kts and seas to 30 ft), she would likely not have gone down. 30 ft storm-driven seas deep in the Gulf, beyond the 20-fathom line, are not prone to froth-cap, break or become confused, they are monsterous rollers. And 45 kt winds likely woudn't drive 30-foot seas in the GUlf - they'd be more in the 18-20 foot range.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by johnshasteen; 12-01-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2009
Jace2

Jace2 is on a distinguished road
I live in Oklahoma, OKC area, and had the same thing said to me (could it be the same guy?). Don't know, I'm new to sailing, but I do know that the winds in this state are crazy. I once saw a whole line of trees positioned very close to each other along a street. Every one of them was calm, still, literally not moving at all ... except one, right in the center, and freakishly, that one was being tossed around and violently dashed to and fro entirely by itself! There it was, the only one, slamming from side to side, forward, backward, like some invisible hand was shaking the life out of it. Just that one tree, leaving the rest untouched and completely undisturbed. Yes, it was very weird, and even a bit unsettling.

That is just one example of the strange OK winds ... not to mention tornadoes that rip a house to ground level rubble with the lone exception of that house's closet left still standing, the doors blown off of it, yet the clothes still perfectly hanging on the hangers. True story, I've seen it!

Oklahoma lake experience more challenging that the ocean? Yeah, I believe it.

Keck
Old 12-02-2009
Rail Meat

JewelledJester is on a distinguished road
When we left Chicago on the Mac, winds were a steady 25knts with 6-8ft waves that never let up. Had me purging the manwich we had for dinner in no time. thank God for those motion sickness patches.