Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't think Pacific Seacraft ever designed a boat like this one... .most of theirs are fairly decent in terms of performance and numbers...this one is pretty whacked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
You know, in keeping the name secret, the boat is either going to be something really good or really bad. The relatively small rig had me going the Crealock direction with the Danna, but I just had a thought – could it be a Catalina 27? The beam made it too wide to be a trailer sailer. Either or, the design problem here is stuffing a large enough cabin to have a head, sink, stove, and sleeping for four and still be around 27’. Something has to give. I do not think there is a true “cruiser-racer” out there in that size range. To get the performance that the ratios suggest, a boat that small needs to be more of a day sailor. Think the comparison of say, a J24 and a Catalina 25. That is why I am curious about Valiente’s dimensional data. I want to run the numbers of a racer.
Old 04-28-2009

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Production boat, similar numbers are not that hard to find. Look at a Catalina 270SD 1999 . Also 25-27 1/4 tonners usually were beamy but had SA -DISP at least 15 usually.
Old 04-28-2009

Just ran the numbers for a Catalina 27 and they do not fit. Try again. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-28-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Very interesting responses indeed! I'd give up the boat model/make, but I'm enjoying the speculation and analysis. She's actually a boat I'm considering and will be looking at in person tomorrow. I wanted the "unbiased" opinions from fellow Sailnetters, and so far so good!

Old 04-28-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
my 27 footer is 27 2 long and has a lwl of 22 feet, so this boat has long over hangs, my boat also is 9 3 wide so it is wider than 83 hunter 27, with longer over hangs. it also has 60 square feet less sail then i do.

the funny part is my boat has a 3 3 draft with 3200 lbs of ballast, this one has more draft, and less ballast and thats normal. its over all weight is also 500 lbs less than mine.

i would say its a 70's or early 80 cruiser, on the lines of as hunter ( we know its not by my numbers ) catalina or oday, or columbia but i would guess not newer
Old 04-28-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I wanna play! Here are the specs of the boat we currently have in escrow, awaiting survey and sea trial.

(No cheating CD!)
LOA- 41'10
LWL- 34'7
Beam- 12'9
Displacement-21,500
Draft- 5'10
Ballast- 8,870

(I love this one, the ARE loves this one, here's hoping the surveyor loves it as well so we can be done already!)
Sail Area- 800 sq ft.
Old 04-28-2009

Kwalter – Just to check, do you have the dimensional data correct? To “build” you a hotter boat, I need to shave a foot off of the beam, trim out a thousand pounds, and increase the sail area by 75 sf. I don’t know what it would look like, but the ratios would like it. But seriously, the design problem here is “cramming” in that cabin to make a cruiser in 27 feet. Anything in that design parameter is goining to run into the same problems, number wise. If you’d like, send me the dimensional data of some “comp” boats and we will run the comparisons which will give you a better indication. Give me the PHRF and I can tell you your Pacific Cup rating. Unfortunately, I have a bug in my stability formulas so I can’t tell you your offshore ratings.
Old 04-28-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
How about something along the lines of a Com-Pac type cruiser

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-28-2009

Here are your numbers Minsy. O.K., now tell me what “ARE” stands for. Also, you will have to eventually tell me what your boat is (so I can update my database). Length is increased in the “middle” of a boat (not the ends) so it takes a certain amount of LOA before a boat grows into its ratios. Congratulations Minsy, it’s a cruiser! (your moment of inertia is the classic number for cruisers)

DSP to Length = 232.1 (200-300 is “cruising”)
Sail Area to DSP Ratio = 16.6 (Most boats are between 16-18)
Hull Speed = 7.88 kts
Velocity Ratio = 1.07 (under powered is less than 1)
LOA to Beam = 3.28 (“fine” is 3.5-4)
Capsize Risk = 1.77 (over 2 cannot compete in ocean races)
Comfort Ratio = 30.48 (cruisers are 60+)

ScottyT, your Hunter numbers aren’t bad either albeit, you do suffer a little from the “under 30’ syndrome”. Your numbers are almost a scaled down version of my 34. I’m assuming that this is one of those Chernubli (sp) Hunters? Do you race, and if so, how well do you do?

Once again, this is not a Catalina of any stripe (I’ve checked). Nor do I think it is a Com-Pac on the account of the beam dimension.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 04-28-2009 at 07:06 PM.