Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009

craigimass is on a distinguished road
Driveway Sailing

Well, I am getting there!

First I had to go through the usual PITA stuff with registration - took three trips to the RMV to register the trailer....there was one typing error on the cert. of origin which screwed up the whole deal.

Now I am making sure I know how to rig it before I take it to the water. Raising the mast was a chore for one person...it will be easier next time. With two people it will be very simple as I can eliminate the rope line I use to pull it up and just use the forestay.

I also came up with an easy solution to mounting a windex - just made a ss bracket and used ss rivets to attach it to the masthead casting. It should hold up better than the plastic bracket which windex sells as a option - because the unit is through bolted with my bracket, but just tightened with a set screw against the shaft with theirs.

So, I sat up on the boat, had a beer, figured out some knots and the main sheet blocks, etc. - too windy to put up the sails yet.

The dog was also put on board and then enjoyed a couple licks afterward.

Next comes bottom painting, which I am going to do myself where she sits.

So, what have I learned so far? Mostly that raising a mast is something which a person should be VERY familiar with doing before attempting to do solo....or even with help! The little tricks, like taping the turnbuckles on the shrouds to make sure they don't get stuck in a horizontal position, are important. It is also important to never put yourself in a position where you can have nowhere to go..... i.e. cannot let go or else face danger, etc.

It's trickier than I thought - the first time. The mast definitely would want to swing off to the side if not properly supported.
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2009

Oops....don't know what happened to attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway Sailing-dv2.jpg   Driveway Sailing-dv1.jpg   Driveway Sailing-dv3.jpg   Driveway Sailing-dv4.jpg  
"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington
Old 04-29-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
congrats on the first time mast up. now do it 3 more times, then 2 more in the dark working by headlamp. then you should be good to go
Old 04-29-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
It was always a matter of pride in our family to raise the mast in the front yard whenever we got a boat so that we could show off to our neighbors!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 04-29-2009

In my case, the neighbors are probably thinking "I hope he doesn't keep that dang thing there too long"...although one came over and told me he was on the sailing team at Yale!

I guess when one has really "arrived" the boat can't fit in the driveway any longer.....so no showoff.

The amazing thing was that I actually know 90% of the terms in the manual. It reminds me of when I learned about computers and the web (programming) - I used to open a magazine and only understand a very few words. Of course, now I understand virtually any "geek talk", even at the deepest level.

After a few years, I'll be able to speak "sail" too. Although I don't know if I can use that sailing accent.....like
bow-lin
instead of bow-line
and
mainsill
instead of
main sail.

I think I need more experience before I start with the proper pronunciations.
-George Washington
Old 04-29-2009

Dutch1951 is on a distinguished road
Nice looking boat... even the dog appears to be trained right!
Old 04-29-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Nice!!

You'll have plenty of fun with her. Looks to be a good choice for your plans.

Is she brand new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-29-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Sailing accent is easy. Just pronounce everything as if you were drunk.

Seriously.

Oh, and by the way, Beautiful Boat!..

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 04-29-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Cute boat.

Spouse wants the dog, a KC Cavalier? altho she will shoot you for letting it drink the beer!LOL

Enjoy her, little boats like that can be fun. Spent many hours with my step dad on the 21 TS we had growing up, in between sailing the 8' pram I had sailing on Lake Washington.

Marty
Old 04-29-2009

Better not show this one to your wife!

Yep. Cavaliers

Yeah, I think the boat is perfect size for me. I can moor it 1/4 mile from my house and the intention is to day sail in the Sakonnet - which is 1.5 miles wide by about 8 miles long. I won't be staying on the boat, etc.....and the strait really never has high seas....

The Subaru can tow it no problem - which is nice for launching and storing, etc.

And, I got the deal of the century. If I didn't, I would have probably bought a used 19-24.....
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway Sailing-picture-10.jpg  
-George Washington