Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Despite the cold...Port Townsend, Washington. *sigh* SO beautiful...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Like much of Casco Bay in Maine, but a lot warmer in Winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Despite the cold...Port Townsend, Washington. *sigh* SO beautiful...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-30-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
You didn’t provide most important piece of information, where are you moving from?
IT jobs are scarce now; however you can find little surviving hubs anywhere in US, after all 75% of US population is living within 50 miles from a shore. So, looking back at your roots is a key to answer your question. I do miss fresh cold lakes I grew on; I’d probably choose other place than I live now, if I start again.
Anyway. Highway are still good, Florida or S. California are within 24-48 hours drive from almost anywhere in US, you can have your favorite setting in summer and drive to sunshine in winter…
Old 04-30-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We live above Philly and keep our boat on the northern Chesapeake. If you're looking for jobs in banking Wilmington, DE is a major financial center for credit card companies. There should be good opportunities in Phila, Baltimore and Washington DC as well. All major cities with financial/banking opportunities. The farther north you choose to live the colder the weather. In the Philly area we can get temps in the single digits farenheit. Snow can total 20 plus inches a season and with a coastal storm we can get that much in one day. Our winters vary based on the Jet Stream, the dominent weather maker in the US. Our travel time to the bay is apx 1:40. If you lived in the Baltimore or Washington DC area it would be more in the 20 min range on average. Baltimore is a very nice town with some great neighborhoods. Like any city it also has some that are quite bad. Weather in Baltimore is slightly warmer with less snow fall. Wash DC is even warmer with little snow accumulation. We'll be keeping our boat in Baltimore and it would be our first choice between the three cities and surrounding suburbs were we to relocate our home. The sailing season ranges from May to October. Those with warmer blood than mine start in April and extend into November. The Chesapeake is a fantastic place to sail with countless destinations. Let me know if I can provide more information. Good luck with your decision.
Mike
Old 04-30-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Honestly, I live here! Puget Sound area is great. One can sail 24/7/365. I can snow ski 3-5 months a year, 12 months by driving down to Mt hood. I can golf in AM< sail in PM, ski in am, golf/sail in pm. We get 10" less rain in a year than the east coast gets on ave from may 1 to Oct 1. Then they do not get to sail those other months either!

Did I mention it rains here a lot too! about 36" a year...........snows.. mountains to hike, climb......BFS winds too!

No humidity like back east...........

What ever, all areas are nice, depends upon what you want!

Marty
Old 05-01-2009

nightowle is on a distinguished road
without a doubt.....San Diego. Best weather overall of any place I've lived. And I've been in a few here in the US and overseas, too.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 05-01-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Some considerations you don't mention.

Living ashore, or on the boat?

If ashore, how close to the boat?

Commute time you would put up with?

As well as the urban, suburban, rural question.

For variety of sailing, w/destinations (overnight to week long trips) the Chesapeake or North Carolina would be your best areas. Where within those areas would depend on the above questions.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-01-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
I would recommend the Hampton Roads area - Virginia Beach or Norfolk.

Good climate, realtively affordable real estate, good communication and the Chesapeake Bay!
Old 05-01-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
This place would have to have a nice body of water for sailing, and would have to have a working environment for the working people that do Accounting and Computer IT stuff!
I work for an IT firm in Portland, ME - a lot of software development and staff augmentation. Send me a PM and we can talk. Maybe I can get you work. We have clients from NJ -> ME.
Old 05-01-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Southern Maryland

Check out Southern Maryland. Near Solomons Island. Great sailing. Close enough to commute to Washington DC. Also their are many government contractors in the outlying areas of DC. We have not been hit as hard economically as other areas.
County links
St. Mary's County Government Website
Calvert County
Charles County Government - Charles County Maryland

sailing links
Screwpile Challenge 2009 Sailing Regatta
St. Mary's College of Maryland
St. Mary's College of Maryland

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat