SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Where to Move to in the States? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/54001-where-move-states.html)

ImASonOfaSailor 04-30-2009 03:29 PM

Where to Move to in the States?

If you were to move in the states where would you move to? This place would have to have a nice body of water for sailing, and would have to have a working environment for the working people that do Accounting and Computer IT stuff! I was thinking Florida, but my wife doesn't like that to live there. So maybe NC you have the lake and the Ocean near by? or somewhere on the Eastcost? Maybe you guys no of some special places. SanFran is to much $$$ to live there. + its going to fall of soon...;)

Of course I will be sailing a Trimaran somewhere, its just to darn cold in the North

mgmhead 04-30-2009 04:03 PM

Check out the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland and Virginia. Don't know if you're looking for urban, suburban or rural setting but all are available and some sail the Bay year round. I've seen some multi-hulls around so you wouldn't be completely out of your element for sure.

Happy hunting...MGM

ericread 04-30-2009 04:22 PM

Orange County CA has a pretty large business base for computer resources, and has sailing opportunities from Newport Beach, Long Beach, San Diego and a number of other smaller ports. Sure, you'd be on the left coast, but you just can't beat the weather out here.

Eric

sailingdog 04-30-2009 06:31 PM

Given your criteria... I'd recommend the Carolinas... :) North carolina has a lot of banking.... and some decent sailing.

tdw 04-30-2009 06:56 PM

I'm not in the US now but if I was to move to the US I'd figure it would be to Seattle.

Other places I have seen (not in person but from books and web etc) that appeal would be Chesapeake and New England.

San Diego is nice as well. Really enjoyed my time there.

craigimass 04-30-2009 07:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think the banking sector in NC just laid off thousands...but who knows, it might be coming back by the time you get there.

New England has cold winter weather, of course. But you can make a much bigger salary than most areas and have a lot of culture within a very close distance.

As another poster said, we really have to know more. Do you like really rural areas or more urban/cultural? Do you need access to a decent airport to travel for family visits, etc.

There is so much that goes into a decision like this.

I have lived in Philly, NJ, WV, TN, MA and RI and they all have strong points...depending on what you might need at the time. Obviously not much sailing in WV.

My daughter lives in the bay area and we just returned from a visit....very nice sailing around there, a lot of nature, plenty of culture - yeah, expensive....but maybe for a reason? (It's one of the most scenic places I've ever seen!)

Enclosed - pic of Bay Area and pic of Portsmouth, RI (Newport RI area).

ImASonOfaSailor 04-30-2009 07:21 PM

I will have to look at these locations, I have about a year to figure this out, i would like to go on vacation to to these locations, is anyone in the Chesapeake area?

sailingdog 04-30-2009 07:33 PM

What part of the Chesapeake. The Chesapeake is roughly 200 miles long, north to south... and covers a very large geographic area...
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor (Post 481741)
I will have to look at these locations, I have about a year to figure this out, i would like to go on vacation to to these locations, is anyone in the Chesapeake area?

tdw 04-30-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor (Post 481741)

Jeff_H hails from the Chesapeake.

buckeyesailor 04-30-2009 07:55 PM

I DO live in the US....and given the choice, I'd take North Carolina....

having said that....anywhere from the Chesapeke south to the Florida line would be fine living.....

but first choice would be Oriental, NC......not much in the way of IT or banking going on there, but .....