Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Bare Boat Charter Preparation

I just booked my first bare boat charter. I'm going to be single handing it for all practical purposes. My wife is coming but has had recent knee surgery. The good part is that it is a small 30' boat. I've been out 10 times this month alone on a 30' boat so I'm used to this type of boat.
It did occur to me that I'm very used to the boat I sail every couple of days, but this will be different.
Just knowing where everything is and if it works differently than my regular boat is starting to concern me.
How throughly do you check out a boat before you take off for 5 days? For example to you raise and lower the sails at the dock. Check the reefing.
Insist on spare oil, coolant.
Am I expected to change an impeller for example?
I made a quick list of stuff to look for, check that I know how it works and know where it is kept. Not complete but I'm working on it.
Some of this stuff should be on the boat some I have to bring.

I'm sure I forgot whole categories of important stuff.

This is the boat:
Our Solitiude

Engine
Fuel fill on deck and fuel fill key>>
Raw water sea-****>>
Blower>>
Throttle + transmission operation>>
Key>>
startup>>
shutdown>>
Emergency shutoff>>
Spare Oil>>
Dipstick>>
Oil Fill>>
Spare Coolant>>
Coolant Fill>>
Coolant expansion tank>>
>>
> >
Sails + Rigging>>
Main Sheet>>
Jib Sheet>>
Main Halyard>>
Jib Halyard>>
Roller furling line>>
Mainsail Reefing 1>>
Mainsail Reefing 2>>
Jib Reefing>>
Traveler >>
Boom Vang>>
> >
Deck >>
Fenders>>
Lines>>
Anchor>>
Anchor rode marks>>
Winches >>
Winch handles>>
Compass>>
> >
12 Volt>>
Master switch>>
Cabin lights>>
Instrument lights>>
Running Lights>>
Steaming Light>>
Anchor Light>>
Deck Light>>
VHF>>
ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Batterylace> Location>>
lace w:st="on">Batterylace> monitoring>>
lace w:st="on">Batterylace> Charging>>
Fathometer>>
Bilge pump>>
> >
110 Volt>>
Cord>>
Deck fitting>>
Master Switch>>
lace w:st="on">Batterylace> Charger>>
Hot Water>>
What runs on 110?>>
> >
Plumbing>>
Fresh Water Deck fill(s)>>
FW Tank switch valve>>
Pump(s)>>
Shower>>
Galley Sink>>
Head(s) water inlet sea-****>>
Head operation (a few are different)>>
TP for head>>
> >
Navigation>>
Charts>>
Dividers>>
Pencils, Paper>>
GPS>>
VHF Radio>>
Backup GPS>>
Hand bearing compass>>
Numbers of harbor masters>>
> >
> >
Communication>>
Emergency Numbers>>
Contact Numbers>>
> >
> >
> >
Safety>>
Spare Cushions>>
PFD’s>>
Fire extinguisher(s)>>
Life Sling (Throwable)>>
Flares>>
Horn>>
> >
Galley>>
Stove Operation>>
Stove fuel>>
Barbecue>>
Charcoal>>
Lighting fluid>>
Lighter>>
Bottled water for drinking>>
Pots and Pans>>
Utensils>>
Plates, bowls and cups>>
> >
> >
Food>>
> >
Personal>>
Suntan lotion>>
Bug spray>>
Medicine>>
Sunglasses>>
Prescription glasses>>
Money>>
Passport>>
Identification>>
Hats>>
Flashlights>>
Shoes>>
Zip Lock bags>>
Snorkel>>
Backpack>>
Shampoo>>
Trash bags>>
Gloves>>
Anchoring gloves>>
Swim shoes>>
Crocks>>
Camera>>
Chargers (Phone, camera)>>
Rigging knife>>
> >
> >
Clothes>>
Foul weather gear>>
Jackets>>
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2009

nightowle is on a distinguished road
It would help to know where you are bare boating and which company you are chartering from. The big boys; Moorings and SunSail are extremely professional and 'usually' hand over the boat is ready condition. Should run into trouble with the boat you can't resolve yourself, you radio them and they'll send assistance ASAP. Getting familiar with a boat that is configured a bit different than your own shouldn't be too hard. Pay particular attention to the anchoring procedure, which can be different to what you know, as well as the mainsail reefing procedure. Other than that, the charter company should be providing a good manual to boot!
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 05-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
It would help to know where you are bare boating and which company you are chartering from. The big boys; Moorings and SunSail are extremely professional and 'usually' hand over the boat is ready condition. Should run into trouble with the boat you can't resolve yourself, you radio them and they'll send assistance ASAP. Getting familiar with a boat that is configured a bit different than your own shouldn't be too hard. Pay particular attention to the anchoring procedure, which can be different to what you know, as well as the mainsail reefing procedure. Other than that, the charter company should be providing a good manual to boot!
Didn't know they provided a manual good idea.

The link in post included the company which is haven charters.
Old 05-02-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
We've bareboated in several different locations; you'll love it. That is one clean Lippincott; I had a friend with one. They're real straightforward as sailers.

Typically, they'll sit down with you on the boat before you leave and first talk things over, telling you where you should and should not go and going over the checklist of provided items. They'll have a phone number or radio channel for you to use to call if something does go wrong that you can't handle. You won't be expected to do any mechanical repairs.
Then they'll ask you to take the boat in and out of the slip. They just want to make sure you ain't BSing them.

When we chartered up in Puget Sound I elected to go with the Grand Banks Trawler. I told them that I was not really qualified in this type of boat, so they scheduled an hour or so of maneuvering practice for me. Didn't charge all that much and I appreciated their help.

Your nervousness will probably help you. That way you'll be careful. But you'll have a great time!

We still talk about the highlights of some of our trips....................

PS...Damn, that knee surgery is painful! My wife has had three knee replacements...one went bad.

Last edited by Selkirk; 05-02-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2009

NickPapagiorgio is on a distinguished road
I've chartered out of Haven Yacht Charters in the past... They're a great company. The owners (Jackie and Dave) are great; really nice, easy-going and helpful. It sounds like you have a good amount of sailing experience so you'll be fine.

Also, FYI, there is a special sub-section of this forum specifically for chartering. You may want to check that section out as well.

As for your question, it's like others have said... There is an orientation provided by the chartering company where they will go over the fundamentals of the boat. They usually will check a lot of the boat's systems during that orientation with you and give you some advise on destinations, trouble areas, etc. Another thing I've found is that you will usually have some time between when you arrive and when they're ready to do the orientation. You can use that time to load your gear on the boat and start getting oriented yourself.

How many days are you going for? When we chartered out of Haven, we went south to St. Michaels the first night, then Annapolis the second night, then Baltimore the last night. It's a great three-night trip although if I had to do it again, I would probably have stayed away from Baltimore. The Inner Harbor is nice but the sail up the Patapsco is far from scenic.

Anyway good luck and have fun.
Old 05-02-2009

We have 5 days. June 8 -12.
Yes, I'm hoping it is as clean as it looks. My wife is very sensitive to smells. He is asking 25,000 for the boat on yacht world. By the looks of things, New engine, cushions etc, etc. I figure he has put over 25g into it in the last 5 years.
Old 06-05-2009

wind4me is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same boat. I've been sailing my whole life but recently decided to move up to larger boats and "legitimize" my sailing resume by going through the first three ASA classes ending with the Bareboat Charter Cert. I've chartered a 38' cat in BVI and am starting to second-guess myself as my crew is as green as green can be. I have booked an "instructional skipper" for the first day/night and hope this will be enough. Otherwise, I'm looking at $175 per day for the instructor and I either have to float around Tortolla until it's deemed that we can handle the boat, or we can proceed with our itinerary, pay the $175 a day and when we're "competent", we can put the instructor on a boat back to base....or course we pick up the ferry and taxi tab back. Anyone know if I'm in over my head? I grew up racing small boats in upstate New York and raced Hobie 16/18 in Florida for 5 years. Crewed on Nonsuch 30', honeymooned in the Bitter End, got my cert on a Hunter 33'. Help !!
Old 06-05-2009

random42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind4me View Post
Anyone know if I'm in over my head?
Doesn't sound like it. Once you're out on the water there's not much difference.

Like you, I grew up sailing (in Australia). I hadn't done any sailing since moving to the US (nearly 10 years ago), and had no "qualifications".

I recently did the bareboat class to get the certification. The checkout I did the week before (testing for BK and BC) was the first time I'd been sailing in over 10 years, the first docking maneuver was the only tricky bit.

The bareboat class was a hoot - didn't learn much (didn't expect to), but it was a great weekend on SF Bay. Can't wait to take the kids to BVI.
Old 06-05-2009

wind4me is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback. I think the charter company is hedging their bets so if I plow into a reef they can come back and say "see, you should have had the instructor for another day" ! Anyway, we're set. First day/evening with instructor then he/she is walking the plank. We should be fine....the only concern I have is that the "big boats" I've sailed all had roller furling everything so reefing the main was a piece of cake. I've just got to stay ahead of the weather. Not worried about confined space maneuvering. On a cat with "twin screws" you can turn on a dime !! Thanks for the feedback ....greatly appreciated.