Oh yeah...I think I remember how this works (first sail of 09) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Oh yeah...I think I remember how this works (first sail of 09)

Who's gotten out this season? I got out for the first-sail-of-the-season yesterday. Weather was overcast, 60ish degrees, winds 5-10 knots out of the S, SE.

Winds were enjoyable on the way out, a little flat on the way back. Had to motor sail. Was out for about 2 hours or so

Old 05-04-2009

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Got out yesterday for three hours or so....winds were 5kts. and under...motored most of the time or just sat still and waited....

now LAST week it was blowing around 20 and we had the rails buried most of the afternoon!! Great Fun!!
Old 05-04-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

My boat got splashed last week. I wanted to bend the sails on and get out this weekend, but it's been raining since Friday....

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
There's a season?
My boat comes home this month (waiting for my ship). Then I can do big boy sailing like you guys. 'Til then it's trailer boats, which have no offseason.
Old 05-04-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
We also got out for a quick couple of hour sail between downpours on Saturday. We splashed two weeks ago and motored about an hour from the boat yard to our slip so Saturday was our first sail this year.

We just had some problems with the rig corrected and installed our new sails, so it was like a whole new boat. We cleared the channel and set our sails on a starboard tack. There was a similar sized Beneteau on the same tack, so so we set our sights on him, and closed to within about 5 boat lengths before tacking away. He sailed on a bit closer to the skinny water then he also tacked over to port. We made a fairly short tack back over to starboard as we were messing about to properly locate the genny cars. When we crossed the Bene's bow, we'd pulled to about 8 boat lengths lead and continued to walk away when we tacked over to match his port tack.

It was a dramatic display of how much a difference there is with a brand new full battened main and a older roller furling sail. I would have been pretty closely matched to this guy with my old sails.

Anyway, this weekend just whetted the appetite for some great sailing this season, and I'm choping at the bit.
Old 05-04-2009

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Taught last Sat, tried to last Sun until a Northerly squall changed my plans...

What's the first sail of the season? Sorry, I forget my New England roots.

But down here, summer's the non-sailing season due to no air, the rest of the year is good... ;-)
Old 05-04-2009

WhatTheFoley is on a distinguished road
Got out three times this weekend (well, Thur, Fri, Sun). Great weather, finally, here in Seattle. Thursday we had light winds 5knots or so, Friday 8knts and Sunday 10-12knts.

Took some great pics on Thursday with a friend of mine... could this be the start of Summer?!!

Old 05-04-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Now that's mast bend
Old 05-04-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
You guys are lucky. My boat is on the hard. It is nearly ready to splash but waiting some last minute work on the engine. Then the monsoon season has arrived here on the Chesapeake Bay with rain for a solid week plus. I can't wait until the day she goes back in...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
We were out trolling for Trophy Rockfish under double reefed mainsail on the Chesapeake most of the day Sunday in full foulies in the pouring rain....no bites, so finally at 3pm the wind came up strong, pulled in the lines, put up the #2 headsail, opened a bottle of wine, put hotwings in the oven and had a glorious 6-7 knot sail back from Bloody Point to my mooring in Galesville. Way better than staying in the house!

Moe