Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
what's a good insurance company?

What's a good insurance company? I've got a 1969 Iroquois catamaran that I'm looking to insure. Is BoatUS any good? How about any others?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
A lot depends on the coverage you are looking for and where you are keeping/using your boat. Liability only? Hull coverage? Comprehensive coverage on a mortgaged boat? FOr local waters only or are you going cruising and will be changing countries left and right?
You'll need to give a few more specifics to get the most helpful responses.
Old 05-05-2009
Iroquois MkII

Coastal cruising in Buzzards Bay, MA.

I'm looking for comprehensive coverage, on the boat itself, and for liability, gas/oil spill cleanup, etc.
Old 05-05-2009
Iroquois MkII

As an example of what I consider "not good", I just called Progressive, got through to the end and was almost ready to go for it, and asked what they covered if a thru-hull failed and the boat sank. The rep said nothing, they don't cover equipment failures.
Old 05-05-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I think your going to find at that AGE they are going to a BIT fussy about boat condition and it will have to pass a survey

Anything on the boat that is original is well past it useful life span

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 05-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're not going to be living aboard, give Christine Hartge, at Hartge Insurance a call...

Christine Hartge
Galesville, MD 20765
Phone: 1 (800) 999-5251/410 867-6666
Fax: 410 867-6664

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-07-2009
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
hahahaha....actually I had an insured that had a boat that sank because the thru hull failed. The adjuster from Progressive gave the go ahead to refloat the boat and pickle the motor before he ever got on site. They determined that a thru hull had failed and paid the claim in full. The boat had replacement cost on the personal items and they paid that as well. You're going to have a problem with the comp due to the age of the boat though. I have access to Markel as well as Progressive in my agency. The best thing about Progressive is that in most instances they don't require a haul out and survey to cover your boat. For inland water ways my experience is that they can't be beat. If your headed "out" then you should look other places as their coverage is limited to 75 miles off shore. However, I believe that recently they added the Bahamas and Mexico to their coverage area.
The quote I got on my boat (30 Islander Bahama) was quite a bit higher through Markel and Boat US so I've got a Progressive policy on my boat.