SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

tired pumpouts?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
Over the past few years I've had the de"stink" pleasure :puke of having the holding tank pumped out at various places from here (Bristol PA) to Annapolis even. most were tired sounding pumps sounding like "kersploook....kersploook...kersploook.....pause... sigh.... gurgle".... :rolleyes: I've just assumed that's the way they work.. slow and slower, tired sounding even. Today I went to one that amazed me. SQOOOSH! the tank was empty in a new york minute! The air was actually rushing through the head. I've never used a pump out that did that so well before. eh.. ok little things impress me :laugher Ten bucks.. not cheap but it's not like there are allot of pump out facilities on the tidal Delaware. Location is D&S on tullytown cove tullytown pa. warning! go in at high tide! keep to the right going in.. left going out. Call in advance until season opens may 15th.
fair winds all

#2 ·
Yep, that's how they're supposed to work.

In my experience, the cheap/free ones tend to work the poorest if at all. Not always, but often.

Over in St. Michaels on the Eastern Shore, there are some "subsidized" pump-outs that frequently are inoperable. But the $15 pump out at the private marina (the one that caters to "upscale" boats) always works flawlessly. I like to kid the dock attendants about their price by complaining: "But the other broken pump-outs are free!" :D :D :D

An empty holding tank: Priceless.;)

#4 ·
the one at BMC by the inner harbor is pretty good, unless your tank has more solid then liquid, i have had to put a few gallons of water to get the last of it, but i only have to pump every month or 2, as i use fresh water from jugs to flush.

yes using 2 liters filled with water to flush is more of a pain but what i do is bring 5 2 liters to the boat frozen for the ice box then use the last weeks thawed ones to flush, so no carrying 10 liters of water home. just pour enough water in the toilet before use

#5 ·
Yup... that's how they area supposed to work....

Of course, having the ability to pumpout your own holding tank is priceless...especially when sailing in remote areas with no pumpout facilities and easy access to the three-mile limit. :)

#8 · (Edited)
I should have added:

Many pump-out hoses have a neoprene/rubber end on the hose, that pushes down into the deck fitting for the holding tank. The seal is made by applying downward pressure on the hose, and in theory the neoprene form fits to any opening. It's an imperfect system at best, often allowing air to enter the pump system.

A very beneficial addition we made to our pump out repertoire was a Pump-Out Adapter like this.

It screws down into the threads for the deck fitting. Then the pump out hose clamps around it (after removing the universal neoprene adapter). It's gasketed and makes a completely airtight seal, and greatly improves the suction of any pump. If you don't have one yet, I strongly recommend that you get one.:)

Check the size of your deck fitting before ordering.;)

#15 ·
I don't know how it is for other areas.. but around here (tidal delaware river nj and pa) pump outs are few a far between. The law is clear.. no dumping.. yet the law doesn't seem to make it clear that pumpouts must work and be accessable. One at the state marina is supposed to be free... well that almost never works. I don't know if it's true that the govs. provide $ for pump out locations but if they do it's a waste of $

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.