Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
tired pumpouts?

Over the past few years I've had the de"stink" pleasure of having the holding tank pumped out at various places from here (Bristol PA) to Annapolis even. most were tired sounding pumps sounding like "kersploook....kersploook...kersploook.....pause... sigh.... gurgle".... I've just assumed that's the way they work.. slow and slower, tired sounding even. Today I went to one that amazed me. SQOOOSH! the tank was empty in a new york minute! The air was actually rushing through the head. I've never used a pump out that did that so well before. eh.. ok little things impress me Ten bucks.. not cheap but it's not like there are allot of pump out facilities on the tidal Delaware. Location is D&S on tullytown cove tullytown pa. warning! go in at high tide! keep to the right going in.. left going out. Call in advance until season opens may 15th.
fair winds all

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Yep, that's how they're supposed to work.

In my experience, the cheap/free ones tend to work the poorest if at all. Not always, but often.

Over in St. Michaels on the Eastern Shore, there are some "subsidized" pump-outs that frequently are inoperable. But the $15 pump out at the private marina (the one that caters to "upscale" boats) always works flawlessly. I like to kid the dock attendants about their price by complaining: "But the other broken pump-outs are free!"

An empty holding tank: Priceless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-06-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
We had our first experience with a maritime pooper-scooper a few weeks ago. Definately "kersploook...kersploook.....pause... sigh.... gurgle". I can see where this is going to be one of the finer aspects of the crusing life.
Old 05-06-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
the one at BMC by the inner harbor is pretty good, unless your tank has more solid then liquid, i have had to put a few gallons of water to get the last of it, but i only have to pump every month or 2, as i use fresh water from jugs to flush.

yes using 2 liters filled with water to flush is more of a pain but what i do is bring 5 2 liters to the boat frozen for the ice box then use the last weeks thawed ones to flush, so no carrying 10 liters of water home. just pour enough water in the toilet before use
Old 05-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... that's how they area supposed to work....

Of course, having the ability to pumpout your own holding tank is priceless...especially when sailing in remote areas with no pumpout facilities and easy access to the three-mile limit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-06-2009
umop apisdn wI

Tetra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Location is D&S on tullytown cove tullytown pa. warning! go in at high tide! keep to the right going in.. left going out. Call in advance until season opens may 15th.
That wasn't a pump out vac. You found the bank's night deposit tube system.
Old 05-06-2009

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
That wasn't a pump out vac. You found the bank's night deposit tube system.
That was the marina's vacuum cleaner system. Now your gonna have to pay for it.
Old 05-06-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I should have added:

Many pump-out hoses have a neoprene/rubber end on the hose, that pushes down into the deck fitting for the holding tank. The seal is made by applying downward pressure on the hose, and in theory the neoprene form fits to any opening. It's an imperfect system at best, often allowing air to enter the pump system.

A very beneficial addition we made to our pump out repertoire was a Pump-Out Adapter like this.

It screws down into the threads for the deck fitting. Then the pump out hose clamps around it (after removing the universal neoprene adapter). It's gasketed and makes a completely airtight seal, and greatly improves the suction of any pump. If you don't have one yet, I strongly recommend that you get one.

Check the size of your deck fitting before ordering.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 05-06-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-06-2009

mwrohde2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
An empty holding tank: Priceless.
That's how I feel about it. I try to get my crew and guests to pump as little water as possible because I have to pay to pump it back out . . . but out it has to go. I'll pay the freight.
Old 05-06-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE

An empty holding tank: Priceless.[/QUOTE]

No holding tank at all - even better, just dump the compost once a year. Use a composting toilet!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.