SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Over reliance on electronics

7K views 60 replies 25 participants last post by  Brent Swain 
#1 ·
#61 ·
While crossing the Pacific, I have always kept an eye on other indicators of my whereabouts, like the height of Polaris and other constellations , birds , wave patterns etc.
Once, leaving Ensenada for Todos Santos , the fog rolled in and blacked everything out. I had cleared out, so I headed out. That was back in the days of satnav, before GPS. When I got there, a few of the Newport to Ensenada race boats were anchored there, and one invited me aboard. They asked if I had got any satellite fixes and I said "No." They asked how I found the place in the fog. I simply told them that,as it was late afternoon, all the birds were flying home. Those headed to my right were heading for the mainland, those heading to my left were heading for the point on the south end of the bay.Those flying up the middle couldn't be heading for anywhere else but Todos Santos, so I followed them in.
No problem.

Oh, you've done this before" was their reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.