Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009

dryclean is on a distinguished road
Good Examples of 15 - 17ft Daysailers/Racers

I'm looking for some input on a daysailer/racer in the 15-17 ft range.

I want to trailer it 1-4 hrs be able to single hand step the mast and launch. Sail with 1 other adult at times and maybe at times two kids.

I want the option to be able to race down the road.

I'd like a boat with benches not to have to ride the rails unless I want to. Fairly dry boat. Under 800lb swing center board for gunk holing. Able to swim off while anchored in the lake about a foot draw with board up.

Any opinions on brands.

Wayfarer comes to mind
Snipes (but I think you have to ride the rail
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Laser?

I don't know how long a Laser is, but that's a pretty fun boat to sail, easy to set up, two people, fast, easy to trailer and people race them. It's a wet ride (ie no benches or cockpit per se) though.

DrB
Old 05-12-2009

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I think Lasers are about 13 feet, and not really set up for two crew.

Maybe the Vanguard-15? Yes, you're still rail-riding, but if you're looking to race, and stay under 17 feet, you may have to accept the rail as your "seat".
Old 05-12-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
I think one of the questions you need to ask is what type of racing. If one design, your choices become pretty limited. If Portsmouth, you can pick almost any boat out there. Unfortunately all of the one design boats I am familiar with are either larger or smaller than your size range. That said, a few to look at that could handle your sailing (dry, two adults, two kids, CB).
Capri 14.2
Flying Junior
Both of them are smaller but pretty widely distributed so you can find groups in your area to race against

On the larger end
Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 (hard to find, no one design racing, unsinkable and comfortable, right at the top of your size range), you may also find its smaller sister the Harpoon 4.6 which is right in your size range
Flying Scot (big comfortable and lots of fleets around the country)
Buccaneer 18 (made by a variety of companies over the years, fast, and relatively dry but from reports I got when looking a bit unstable) The Mutineer is the Bucc's little sister and is near the low end of your length spec

As your search is similar to what I was looking for last year I will put in a plug for the Flying Scot. The boat is highly stable, weighs ~850#, the CB is weighted which gives it great stability. It is easily trailered, set-up takes 30-40 minutes with two people. I often rig alone while my wife takes care of the kids - that takes over an hour. The mast is easy to step with no help (I am certainly not a body builder). We bought it due to the safe reputation as well as the fact that it is a fast boat. If you have any questions let me know. My dad has a Harpoon 5.2 so if you are interested in that I can tell you more about it as well.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-12-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Laser - Part 2

I was thinking of the Laser 2000.

14.5 feet, easily fits two people.
Old 05-12-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Check out O'Day Daysailer

Hi, The O'day Daysailer I or II is a great boat and fits your requirements.

I've had one for 5 years and single hand step the mast and launch. The cockpit is generous and it's plenty comfortable with 3 other adults as well.
Bench seats and dry. 650 lbs with center board.
I sailed her for 3 years without a motor and finally after the family harassed me got a 5HP.
She's a lot of fun.
My favorite thing to do is take her for a sail, find a private spot, throw out an anchor, take a swim and a nap and sail back home...

I want to trailer it 1-4 hrs be able to single hand step the mast and launch. Sail with 1 other adult at times and maybe at times two kids.

I want the option to be able to race down the road.

I'd like a boat with benches not to have to ride the rails unless I want to. Fairly dry boat. Under 800lb swing center board for gunk holing. Able to swim off while anchored in the lake about a foot draw with board up.

Any opinions on brands.

Wayfarer comes to mind
Snipes (but I think you have to ride the rail[/QUOTE]
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Old 05-12-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The most fun you have for the least money. I own a mutineer I know of what I speak.

Mutineer 15 Class Association Website - Welcome!
Mutineer Sailboat with Trailer

Never Forgotten

Old 05-12-2009

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Harpoon

I second the Frog's recommendation on the Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2. Stable, fast, comfortable, safe, fun, easily trailerable, easily rigged single-handedly. Paid $5k for one in 1980, sold it in 1986 for $5K, and wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay $5K for one today. Sweet boat.
Old 05-12-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I second the Flying Scot and nominate the Lightning (19').
The Lightning (S&S design from the 50's) is a 1 Class racer with lots of fleets around the country/world. There are seats and there is the rail. Not so easy to set up single handed but not impossible with some forethought. It is a fast boat that usually comes with a spinnaker.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-12-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMojo View Post
I second the Frog's recommendation on the Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2. Stable, fast, comfortable, safe, fun, easily trailerable, easily rigged single-handedly. Paid $5k for one in 1980, sold it in 1986 for $5K, and wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay $5K for one today. Sweet boat.
CGMojo has the price range right. You can probably get a Harpoon for less than $5000 but you are going to have to sink some money in to fix up bits and pieces. Most common problem I am aware of is rotting benches. Second is cracking gel coat especially near the transom. My dad (67 y.o.) single hands his all the time. But it also is comfortable with 4 adults and two kids. The only problems are there is no one design racing and they are somewhat difficult to find on the market. One review of them calls them the Cadillac of sailing dinghys.

One suggestion - find out what is being sailed in your area, nothing better than having other people around you sailing the same boat. Plus, you can probably hook up with local sailors before you buy and they will probably be very happy to take you for a sail.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.