Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Any Red Flags Here?

I've posted my availability as an ocean passage delivery crew. I received today an email saying:

"Have a catalina 36ft sail boat leaving miami to bahamas/bermuda/azores/uk in around two weeks, if you are interested please email"

I responded asking for more details about boat, captain, crew and contract. I'm new to this crewing stuff and I was hoping my first bluewater would be something like a 2 week passage to/from Hawaii/W. Coast.

I live in Los Angeles and this would be a blind start for me in Miami.

By my guestimation (if all goes well) this would be about 32 days on the water and I think 2 or 3 days breather after each leg; something like May 27 to July 9 total (nothing goes all well).

It's a lot to consider and prepare for (logistically) in just 2 weeks and I can't really afford to many false starts or delays.

Is this schedule pushing it or am I just a big weeney?

I Sure could use an opinion out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Whos taking a catalina 36 across oceans?
Old 05-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I don't know about the schedule, but as much as I admire the Catalina 36, it's not a boat I'd want to cross an ocean in. Sure, it can make it provided weather is fair to moderate. But if luck runs out, it's not designed to withstand the long term, extreme stresses experienced in an ocean storm.

Have a read of This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 05-13-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added link
Old 05-13-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Winderlust, I'm talking to the owner about a delivery from SF to Seattle that may leave real soon to hit a weather window. We may need a third but I won't know until later tonight. The owner is paying for travel to and from the boat plus food etc.. PM me if interested. Note, this is not a real fun trip unless your idea of fun is a beat up a nasty Lee shore, like mine... See my SF to Seattle thread for more info.
Old 05-14-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I think the reply meant that they would be departing in two weeks--not making the trip in two weeks.

By all means, ask them what their schedule is, how many crew they intend and what kind of watch keeping, what safety equipment is on the boat (to ORC standards? life raft plus more, one hopes?) and see how clearly they communicate back to you. Also, how rigid is their schedule, can or will they wait a week or two for weather window if necessary?

Some folks just don't do well with email, you might want to use Skype and set up a time to speak with them for free that way. Get a better feel for the details.
Old 05-14-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I think the reply meant that they would be departing in two weeks--not making the trip in two weeks.
I think the OP intended it to mean "preparation time is two weeks". I guess the prep time depends on how the boat is normally used. I could prep my boat for an extended voyage in three days.

I have mentioned in earlier posts that we prepared a new-to-us boat that we'd never been aboard before for a trans-Pac crossing in two weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-14-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Two weeks for prep reminds me on what they used to say about the reliability of a Land Rover: You can get anything fixed, anywhere in the world, in under a week. They even had standard field repairs for obtaining and preparing [read: hunting, skinning, and tanning] fresh game to make a field replacement for a blown head gasket from the fresh skin.

To which some folks said, yes, you can fix any Land Rover anywhere in the world in only a week. And if you're in downtown London or New York...it will still take a whole week to fix ANYTHING that has gone wrong with it.

I love the way [not!] so many vendors quickly misdiagnose a part that only they can supply, rush out a replacement by overnight shipping [usually to the wrong address or the wrong part] and then drag a simple three day replacement of the most mundane things into four weeks. Even without international shipping times. Heck, I had to wait six weeks for a muffler for my car once--and that was after the dealer escalated it to "parts critical" status instead of the 8-12 week normal order time.

Then they wonder why the global economy is in such a mess. Or why the boats with the least "stuff" on them can be the most fun to sail!
Old 05-14-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
The red flag for me would be "Catalina 36" for a trans-Atlantic passage. We almost bought a Catalina 400 so I'm not prejudiced against Catalinas, just don't know that I would be comfortable doing serious blue water work in one.
Old 05-14-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Problem solved. It's been 24 hours since I asked my basic questions in response to the crew position and there's been not a peep back. Curious for such a tight schedule.

My guess is the crew offer email went out to multiple candidates and the first one who responded "will do", no questions asked, is in. So be it.
Old 05-14-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
hellosailor,

Not to drift, but what kind of car was that? For 20 years I fabricated for Rolls, Maserati, Ferrari, and even beat up Chebbies ......just curious.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.