SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need Help Identifying a boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/54471-need-help-identifying-boat.html)

newbie13 05-18-2009 10:49 PM

Need Help Identifying a boat

just saw it today at a used car lot way out in BFE here in the mountains of NC.

The car guy said it was a Sunstar 19 but I think he was confused with the party boat next to it :rolleyes:

I didn't measure it but 19 seemed about right.

It had twin keels, a through hull rudder with a skeg in front of it...i'm new to all this so pardon incorrect terms please :) ... a small cabin w/ basically two berths/benches joining at the bow...no other cabin details as it was locked up.

It was fairly beamy and looked to maybe draft around 3'

the guy said it was a English/British boat built for crossing the channel???
he also said he thought it weighed about 1200#

anyone have any idea what this boat is?

TIA!

Matt

ps: no camera today but will try to get a pic someday soon

Sailormann 05-18-2009 10:59 PM

There is a British company called Westerly that produced a number of twin keel boats.

newbie13 05-18-2009 11:25 PM

thanks...no luck so far with finding one of their boats at 19'

i need to go back out there with a camera and a tape measure

he's asking way too much though ( i think ) at $2500. She's got some minor hull damage and i saw several spots on the cabin top that looked like Bondo :eek:

but, she look's like a good little boat and possibly a great first boat

poopdeckpappy 05-19-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbie13 (Post 487488)
i need to go back out there with a camera and a tape measure

Could be a old Pirate yacht express 17

newbie13 05-19-2009 07:55 AM

man, that is very close but the rudder was forward of the stern and the rudder post mounted through the floor of the cockpit and is hinged on a skeg(?)

the twin keels were angled out as well

i'll get pics and see if he won't let me inside the boat to find a nameplate or something

thanks!

Jeff_H 05-19-2009 09:26 AM

Without pictures or without a precise length, it is hard to say for sure but from your description, that sounds like it could be a Westerly or a Signet.

Personally, I have bever been a fan of bilge keel boats, (poor sailing ability and the problem of how to free them when they run aground) or Westerly's for that matter (sloppy build quality and mediocre sailing ability), but for some reason I have always liked the Signet (19'-10" LOA) which I had a chance to sail briefly when I lived in Florida. (Here are a couple examples 20' Signet Sailboat and Signet 20 Twin Keel Sailboat Project)

If the boat is a Signet and were in near perfect condition and capable of sailing she would probably be worth somewhere around $3000-3500. As you describe her she is worth something well under $2000 and may have little or no value is she does not have good sails, interior furnishings, and an outboard. There was a pretty nice one for sale in Annapolis on a trailer which they were asking $2K for a few years back.

Jeff

newbie13 05-20-2009 07:22 AM

thanks Jeff.

I'll be trying to get a pic friday when i am out that way again

newbie13 05-22-2009 03:21 PM

Intermarine Sunstar 18

stopped by today to get pics and crawled inside it and found the ID

took pics but no time to upload now....later this weekend

If I remember right it's Hull# 122

newbie13 05-22-2009 07:34 PM

ok, won't let me upload... "Upload Failed" ???

AllThumbs 05-22-2009 07:46 PM

you need 10 posts to upload...