SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   New wind farm 9 mi NE of Martha's Vinyard? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/54486-new-wind-farm-9-mi-ne-marthas-vinyard.html)

Bene505 05-19-2009 12:51 PM

New wind farm 9 mi NE of Martha's Vinyard?

Any thoughts on this?

From Martha's Vineyard Times : Martha's Vineyard News Briefs

Cape Wind ruling expected soon

The federal government is expected to release its final report on the environmental impact of a proposed wind farm in Nantucket Sound in a matter of days, perhaps as early as next week. Energy Management Inc., developers of the Cape Wind project, expect the report will put a critical stamp of approval on the controversial energy project. The Mineral Management Service, part of the Department of Interior, is the federal agency conducting the review.

Cape Wind also needs approval from other state and federal permitting authorities before it can move forward.

"By the end of the winter, perhaps February or March, we hope to complete the permitting process," said Mark Rodgers, a spokesman for Cape Wind.

The Project plans call for 130 wind turbines to be located on Horseshoe Shoals, about nine miles northeast of Martha's Vineyard.

eolon 05-19-2009 12:57 PM

That will put an end to sailing within 50 miles of there. It is a known fact that Wind Generators suck up all the wind in order to convert it to electricity - there won't be any wind left over to drive a Sunfish.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

smackdaddy 05-19-2009 12:58 PM

Yeah - but if they turn them up high enough it could create a sweet breeze. I've always noticed how windy it gets when they have those things on.

bobmcgov 05-19-2009 01:08 PM

Really. Aren't there any backward neighborhoods in New England where we can stick a coal-fired or nuclear power plant? Surely, the unwashed classes would be grateful to have such a thing.

tommays 05-19-2009 02:30 PM

It will be interesting when a wind farm gets hit with the BIG ONE :eek:

scottyt 05-19-2009 04:06 PM

watch out to see if the kennedy's try to kill this one too

tommays 05-19-2009 04:14 PM

All the ones they have tryed off the South Shore of Long Island have gotten stoped by NIMBY AND the price is REALLY WILD which has also caused issues

BUT the price may becasuse of the LI ocean location ?

ronspiker 05-19-2009 04:42 PM

Yea all the north east libs are big on alternative energy as long as its not in their backyard.

tager 05-19-2009 04:53 PM

I hope this succeeds!

craigimass 05-19-2009 04:53 PM

I'm sitting here watching the big new machine turn on Aquidneck Island (Rhode Island, Newport)......

I really hope they get that project in off the Cape.

We are about 20 years behind Denmark and some other countries in wind power, but stats show that we are coming up fast - lots of turbines going in.

The Cape Wind thing has been fought by most of the rich pols and business people who have places there. Folks might recognize some names like Kennedy and Kerry, however the big push is from groups backed and financed by William I. Koch - a coal, oil and gas magnate who also has a place on the cape.
Alliance forms a new Anti-Wind Farm lobbying arm :: Cape Cod Today :: Cape Cod News and Information

Koch spent $620,000 lobbying against it in 2006 and 2007. Oh, newest figures show about 1.5 million.

He runs the largest private corporation in America, and should be familiar to sailors as the winner of the 1992 Americas Cup. (Yacht: America).

Without giving the gory details, it is a strange alliance of folks fighting against it....the Koch brothers are the ultimate oil men!