Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009

lawriegubb is an unknown quantity at this point
bloody good news story for a change

I recently bought, online, a vang from mauri pro sailing. It was made by garhuer. Through a stuff up it was no longer available. Well, bugger me! Mauri pro contacted garhauer who agreed to custom make it. Mauri pro sailing sent it the fastest way at no cost to me here in Australia.
In over 40 years I've sailed most of the oceans on the planet and have had a few marine businesses. I've never heard of two companies prepared to go to such lengths to rectify an error.
So WELL DONE both oufits. The blocks are superb.
We get so used to being treated like idiots that sre only good for spending it is an absolute delight to find people and companies with a bit of decency. What a shame those wall st arseholes don't have a shred of this decency
Makes an old man feel good! Dunno when I last felt that after doing business.
Old 05-20-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have been switching to Garhauer gear for some time now on an as-needed basis. If its going to make you feel even better, the president of Garhauer is an old feller named Bill who looks well past 70 and who runs the boat show booth circuit personally. When I ordered a traveller from him, he cut the price on the spot and I got a call from the man fabricating it in California asking where I wanted the centers for the mounting bolts. I made a trip down to my boat in the middle of winter, measured the existing Harken track twice, and gave him the information. Three weeks later, I received the biggest package I've ever gotten, and at a very good price.

While they don't make race gear, I recommend them to everyone else.
Old 05-20-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Great post lawrie. It's good to hear that there's still a world of good out there!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
...Garhauer ... the president of Garhauer is an old feller named Bill who looks well past 70 and who runs the boat show booth circuit personally. When I ordered a traveller from him, he cut the price on the spot .
While they don't make race gear, I recommend them to everyone else.
I too ordered a Traveler from a middleman. When it came it was missing a part (the blocks to adjust the car position). I didn't notice it until much later and when I was at the Annapolis Boat show I asked him and got an incredible price. They are a good company who stand behind their products!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Garhaur and Mauri! Yes, I'll write that down.
Old 05-22-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I like Garhauer in principle. I bought a vang from them last year. Well, this year I noticed rust around the central round tube (on which the block turns). Yes, rust - and not just discoloration but real actual rust. The kind you get on non-stainless steel.

I am still using the vang, but I am wary of this issue and don't know if I am as big a fan of Garhauer as I used to be.
Old 05-23-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Why not call them and see what they say?
Old 05-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Garhauer and MauriPro Sailing are both good vendors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-25-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Why not call them and see what they say?
Ohh, not that again. I spend so much time dealing with vendors and retailers, trying to get things right - it's becoming more than just a chore.

I just don't relish the conversation, the other party getting defensive (they almost always are), having to explain myself, insist, argue. It ain't worth it in this case.

The vang is very secondary to my leisure sailing style. At this point it holds fine and rust, while unpleasant, probably does not make it terribly unsafe. I'll let it stay that way for a while and at some later point just buy new blocks from Schaefer (whom I prefer for looks and longevity, I have Schaefer blocks that are over 15 years old and work well) or Ronstan, if I feel like being cheap. No aggravation, no need to deal with "people" - it's just money.

Incidentally, I did have good experience with Mauripro, though they are not my primary choice of online retailer.
Old 05-26-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Thumbs up

I cannot say enough great things about Mauri Pro.. Those guys are the best. For a novice like me the have help me redo some of the blocks and spinnaker setup on my boat. The went so far as to draw pictures of where all the hardware is to go on my boat when I did the spinnaker setup. The customer service is #1 in my book. Their prices too are almost comparable to Defender.
Catalina 445, Hull #90