Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
YAGPS Question

Yet another GPS question. I'm going on a cruse and would like to bring a gps. I can borrow a gpsmap 76 the black and white model but I've been lusting after one of my own for some time now.
I like the looks of the gps map76csx but the screen is supposed to be smaller than the older b&w unit plus the icons are supposed to be harder to read than the old menus.
Also the base map is supposed to be useless and I can't figure out what I have to buy to get good charts for new england and the Chesapeake? Also there is the question of the chip vs the cd and what you can and can't do with both. What a freaking mess.
Does anyone have it all figured out.

Then there is the gpsmap 378 and 478, can't tell the difference. This is big enough to be a real chart plotter but I don't think I can just throw in a spare double A but have to charge it which is another complication when cruising for a week.
Then there is the Oregon but the touch screen is supposed to be a problem.

I don't think I'm asking for too much.
Fits in a pocket, with battery and antenna internal
Big enough screen to do an instant (where am i check)
Regular batteries
Good coastal charts for US
About $300
Gamin are you listening?

Anyone want to suggest the closed to what I'm looking for?

Last edited by davidpm; 05-20-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2009

OK it looks like the only difference is that the 378 is inland the 478 is costal.
Old 05-20-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
David,

I like the 76csx. We've got the 76C, and while the screen is small, the zoom function pretty well compensates for it. I was skeptical when we got it, but it has worked out well.

Ours has to upload charts while plugged into a computer via a cable. The newer versions like the 76CSx have a removable internal memory card, which is a better arrangement. My understanding is that the process of uploading new charts is much simpler with this setup.

I'm not familiar with the other models, but if they're newer versions with larger screens, I'd expect them to be a bit pricier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-20-2009

I went to WM and checked out the gpsmap 478, the big one and its replacement the gpsmap 640 touch screen. The Colorado 400c with the wheel on top and its replacement the Oregon touch screen.

It looks like the industry is moving to the touch screen but they seem to have a problem.
You put it in your pocket and you can't get it out without messing up the screen.
Old 05-20-2009

I was all excited about the Oregon 400c until I saw some complaints that the speed readout is very flaky and does not average out the way it should and the the buoy number are hidden unless you hove over them

The is a real pain.
Old 05-21-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I suppose I would be a party pooper if I suggested you get a simple lat/lon XTE/compass heading handheld model and followed your position on a paper chart?
Old 05-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I suppose I would be a party pooper if I suggested you get a simple lat/lon XTE/compass heading handheld model and followed your position on a paper chart?
I'm all for that solution for general cruising. The exception is navigating channels that are long and winding.
A gps map lets you pick you way from mark to mark with a little less worry.
Not no worry as they can move the marks but less worry usually.
Old 05-24-2009

mazzy is on a distinguished road
I'm happy with my Colorado 400C. It doesn't have the Oregon's touch screen. Got it from WM over the winter at a nice price. Googled and saw it available for your pricepoint
Mike

[Edit - the item I saw at the low price was factory refurbished, not new. I paid $50 more @ WM, after rebate, for new]

Last edited by mazzy; 05-24-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
i got a gps map 76csx for taking on charters. It was really worth it but I also wanted to have paper charts because of the small screen. That is, the paper chart gave me the big picture but I could keep the gps zoomed at a level that really helped to navigate tight places. I never had a problem reading the icons. On that model you can either buy the chips which can go in the unit or you can download the maps to a computer from garmin and upload them to the handheld unit. This is actually quite useful because then you have all the maps on your computer with a big screen, and can lay out routes, waypoints, etc. and then put those on the handheld. It is MUCH easier to do this kind of planning on the laptop.

garmin charts are good but expensive. you get the base chart with the unit but have to "unlock" each region for about a $100 a pop. Chesapeake bay is one region. New England as I recall was more than one region. You can check it all out on Garmins website.

Another benefit of that unit is that it floats.
Old 05-25-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
The GPS76 series has a page which displays a compass rose that points at the next waypoint. If your waypoints are correctly inserted, the pointer will automatically switch to the next waypoint when you either reach the one before or when the GPS calculates that you have gone past it and are heading away.

This makes it very easy to move up a winding channel - just follow the arrow - you don't need charts on the screen. Yes I know it's fancier but the reality is you don't need it. The charts are in any case (in my opinion) too small to be of any value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke