Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009

snider is on a distinguished road
6th year of a 5 year plan!!

Well looks my five year plan is getting longer and longer. It's funny reading through all of my old posts. I've come a long way (wow was I ever naive) but I feel like I still have an eternity to go. I was supposed to be living on my cruiser by now, outfitted over the last year, ready to shove off. Alas the housing market hasn't helped; I admit I fell into the trap, "What a great idea!! Buy real estate to live in for three years then sell for a profit to buy a boat!!" At least I was smart enough to buy the cheapest condo around; the renter pays the mortgage now. I've sold or gotten rid of every monthly bill I can to speed up getting debt free. I even sold my truck and don't have a vehicle now. Working weekends for more money. I'm worried I just took a step back though, I bought a Catalina 27, figured I could live on it, sail and save faster with fewer bills however its eating up a good bit of cash getting it going. Maybe I should have saved longer and just bought the cruiser, even if it meant a few years without a boat. Living in Charleston SC though is the perfect place to be with a boat. Sailing year round and close enough to take the Catalina south for a month or two a year was/is the plan. I'm a sailor at heart and just can't stand to be here without a boat. I would have never thought 6 years after I hatched the idea to go cruising I'd be on my 5th boat. All of them (except one expensive refit I had to abort) have been great experiences. I hope this one turns out that way too. Maybe I will be able to enjoy sailing this boat around for three years or so then move up to a heavier cruiser. That will make the five year plan take 9 to realize!!! Better late than never I guess. I'll be 30 next year, I was hoping to be spending that day somewhere in the southern hemisphere. Dreams are just goals without a plan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2009

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
What kind of boat do you want to take cruising?
Old 05-21-2009

cruising boat

I know I'll never find the perfect cruising boat, as close as I could get would be a Bristol Channel cutter and I'll never be able to afford that. There are a few Lyle Hess cutters around, same design only 26 feet. Other than that I just have a few parameters, wouldn't mind something 28 to 34 feet in glass or steel. Has to be cutter rig, heavy displacement but a sufficient rig to move her, long water line. At first I was set on a early tiller steered Pacific Seacraft 34 but anything along those lines would work. It'll probably end up being a 70's to early 80's something. There's always one "perfect" boat that I'll follow for several months to a Year until it sells

Last edited by snider; 05-21-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Don't underestimate the virtues of the boat you already own, the C27. While she may not be suitable for globtrotting, I'm sure you could outfit her for a safe visit to the Bahamas and the Antilles if you so choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snider View Post
Well looks my five year plan is getting longer and longer.
I know the feeling My "5 year plan" to retire at 62 and move to your beautiful Charleston area keeps stretching and stretching. I'm 59.... so now my "5 year plan" is targeting 65 to sell out and move South. So..... stretch your "5 year plan" a few more years and I'll take over your slip
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 05-21-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
As my blog address indicates, I thought when we bought our "world cruiser" in mid-2006 that we would be leaving in June, 2009. But fate decrees otherwise...now I've stopped setting dates and the boat's on land for the next 11 months getting dissembled! Still, it's necessary and it's progress of a sort.
Old 05-21-2009

Yea

That was my thinking with this boat. Race locally and take a trip or two south with her before I sell her. Ultimately spending a month or two in the Bahamas, if that works out well I could save enough in three or four months to to a 6 month trip on the Catalina. It would be a good shakedown to the cruising life. The downside is it'll be hard to come back to work to save for a more suitable boat. Maybe I should have just saved and bought that cruising boat now. After I bought the boat I sold my truck and moved in with my girlfriend, cutting my debt to income ratio to about 16%, and that includes $350 for dockage, without that it would be 8%. The boat has been in the yard for the last three weeks, had I realized I could cut my expenses this much I would have just kept saving. My move was to be temporary until I moved onto the boat but this living situation is working out so well I think I'll just stay. We work the same schedule so Stephanie carts me to work and back. I'm very open ended and change my plan with the tide, all with the ultimate goal of how to be cruising the fastest. We'll see how it works out.

Valiente, I like the looks of your boat, I don't have time now but I will take a good look at your blog. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Don't underestimate the virtues of the boat you already own, the C27. While she may not be suitable for globtrotting, I'm sure you could outfit her for a safe visit to the Bahamas and the Antilles if you so choose.
Old 05-21-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
A lady once told me when I brought up the same situation about my plans. Many makes plans, and God laughs. Getting to a certain destination in life is a lot like sailing. Sometimes you have to tack to get there. Just keep your eyes on the destination.

This is why I left at 42, 51, and trying to leave again. The sooner the better......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-21-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Every man needs a dream.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 05-21-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Snider,

I know it can be discouraging sometimes, but it is probably difficult for you to see all of the progress you have already made towards your goal. When you are living with your dreams every moment of the day it is easy to become blind to all that you have already accomplished. I have no doubts that you have learned a lot of technical skills as you have moved forward, and just think how much more practical you are at this point, you probably have a plan in mind now that really can work, not just some vague inclination.

Every day you move forward you are becoming more of a sailor, learning a new skill here or there, finding new ways to save money, less ways to waste it, etc. I am confident that you are even changing your eating habits, the way you take care of yourself, the way you think about time, many profound changes that optimize you and make you more efficient and ready for the lifestyle that you want to live. When your mind bends towards something you can easily lose the ability to stop yourself from moving in that direction, it can take on a life of its own that you cannot stop even if you wanted to. You are lucky to have such momentum - at some point, one of these days in the future, you'll step off of shore and on to a boat and be a cruiser, and you probably won't even remember all of the work that went into it up until that point, because by then it will be the most natural progression imaginable.

Take heart, you are young and you have obviously worked well beyond some idle enthusiasm and are motivated by real persistence, and there is little in this world that can stand against a truly persistent human being. I hope that you are able to stay thankful for all of the gifts that you have and all of the progress that you made, it sounds like you do have that in mind if you glance back at early posts and realize how far you have come - maybe you could write down an actual log of your efforts to look back on in the future ? I am sure that is something that would put a smile on an old man's face some day down the road when all you have left are your memories of being 30 years old. I can tell you that day will eventually come, so do whatever you can now while you still have the chance.

Your hard work is not in vain, it is all character building. It is never easy to take a harder path to what you truly want, it takes time, energy, but all of that makes you into a better person. You sound like someone who meets adversity with more strength, someone who can redouble their efforts when they encounter setbacks, and that is going to serve you well throughout your life, turn you into the force of nature that you were created to be. If you feel you are too discouraged, maybe it is time to look fresh at the way you are trying to move forward so you can come at it from yet another perspective using all that you have learned from previous attempts. That's what the world does to someone who can learn from it, it optimizes you, tears away all the non-sense and leaves what it useful, making you stronger and more potent. I am confident you will figure it all out and have renewed enthusiasm. The strongest metals are forged in the hottest fires, and after a while it just burns away all the bullsh#t, and you'll be whatever is left, no doubt a world cruiser.

Fight, and win.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-22-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: sp