Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Head?

This story prompted me to rethink the composting head:
7/6/2012 – A confession | yodersafloat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'll bite. How come and why not while you're aboard alone?
As I said, i have vented the head into mizzen mast which is basically 35 ft stack.
Also I spend very little time in marinas and I normally anchor out. There is always natural draft exists with wind blowing over top of the mast. I have the fan connected, so I turn it on when I'm expecting that my head be used more heavily than normal. I don't think I really need the fan.

Last edited by CrazyRu; 12-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
As I said, i have vented the head into mizzen mast which is basically 35 ft stack.
Also I spend very little time in marinas and I normally anchor out. There is always natural draft exists with wind blowing over top of the mast.
Okay, then why do you need it on for guests?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
it seems like all stories of fly infestations are based on the same type of compost media used in the head.
Old 12-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Wow. The infestation is a new one on me. I'm sure its not prevalent, but something to think about. I am sure they couldn't get the composting to work, as they nuked the thing with insecticide, which is probably also killing the bacteria that cause the composting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-17-2012

Quote:
Okay, then why do you need it on for guests?
I edited my post upstream. I have a suspicion that my head, as every holding tank, can be overflowed.
Old 12-17-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

One of our main reasons for getting a composting head was that pump outs seem to be spotty here on the Chesapeake, especially in the more out of the way areas. We haven't had any odor or bug issues (knock on wood) and find it to be a great solution for weekend warriors like us.

Where I can't see it working well is for longer term cruisers, mainly because of the small liquid holding capacity. Two of us fill ours in about a day and a half. Extra tanks are available, but is anybody really going to dinghy 3 or 4 of them ashore every few days? The liquid can also be directed to a larger holding tank, but that really starts to defeat the purpose. I'm not sure there's an easy way to no discharge compliance if you're going to be out for more than one or two liquid tanks worth of days.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-18-2012

The Chessy is probably one of the toughest places to manage a holding tank. Anyone in the upper Bay is a day and half away from clearing the NDZ. If you have to pump out 100% of the time, that would be a pain. Composters could be a good solution, you just can't say they are without their downsides too. Around here, I pass outside the 3 mile limit nearly every weekend...... intentionally.

What roasts my potatoes is that when I'm 1 mile offshore in 100 foot deep ocean currents, its illegal to dump a few gallons of waste. Emotional people who can't fathom how vast that is are making these rules.

Everytime you flush the toilet at home or the office, you are affecting the environment too. Do you think your septic tank hasn't made about 500 sf of your backyard pretty toxic? Composters are predominantly sending their nutrient rich waste to a landfill. Bet you wouldn't let your kids play in it.

I'm getting a giggle thinking of all the environ-zelots that are going to try to hold it in today.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-18-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

As to minne's would I let me kids play with a manure debris, which is what the remains of a composting toilet is........yes if composted long enough. On the other hand, I do pickup after my dog a couple of times a day, putting excrement/manure in the trash.

I've probably put hundreds of not thousands of yds of manure and or bio-solids as it is know locally on peoples yards as top-dressing/mulch. BUT, All of these have been or are supposed to be composted for X months, reach a YYY temp for a minimum time to kill off any bad organisms etc. This is usually mixed in with sawdust of some sort. Altho the manures from farms usually have some shavings/sawdust from the get go, then the composter/supplier mixes in more.........

This is going on daily around the US right now. Is human excrement any more worst than animal. no not really. Altho bio-solids/sewage sludge is probably in an of itself the most problematic from a potential poison issue considering what get thrown down the septic/sewage system.

Cam Muir on Mt Rainer uses a composting/dehydrating toilet so the waste from the climbers/dayhikers to here is reduced to about 10-15% weight nd size for easier removal from the mtn. If you climb the mtn away from here, you take a double plastic bag system up with you to bring down the solid waste.

To my eye, either system involves or should potentially involve rubber gloves to remove the waste. Both need to be processed at a proper place once out of the holding tank per say. I also do not have issues with dumping x miles from land etc. I also know the water at least locally from the sewage processing plants, is as clean or cleaner than locally in the cascade mtn streams. It is pumped into puget sound daily. Meanwhile up north in Victoria, everything, dumped straight into the straights with out processing. That is scary in my book! at least at that quantity.

Marty
Old 12-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
The Chessy is probably one of the toughest places to manage a holding tank. Anyone in the upper Bay is a day and half away from clearing the NDZ. If you have to pump out 100% of the time, that would be a pain.
Its a fact of life here on the Chessie. Do we want our crabs or do we want them embargo because of high fecal chloroform levels. I have never really found it that difficult to find a place to pump out when traveling here. I am fortunate where I keep my boat has one, but the alternative of dumping into the Bay is not an alternative to me.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.