Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Head?

Friends simply dump the solids into a large plastic garbage bag and throw it in a dumpster. No pumpout needed.
Old 12-19-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Friends simply dump the solids into a large plastic garbage bag and throw it in a dumpster. No pumpout needed.
The sales rep for Air Head (which has about the same dimensions as Natures Head) pointed out that the bags designed for trash compactors (a standard size) fit perfectly over the bottom half of the air head.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 12-19-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2013

amelia is on a distinguished road

We have a C-Head, our first loo in our homemade boat, and so far, in 9 months of light use, couldn't be more pleased. The simplicity of design, the ease of keeping it clean, the fact that its few parts can be easily, locally and cheaply replaced, make it excellent for our needs. We don't need to buy a big expensive custom jug for the urine, (just screw on the cap and put another clean gallon jug in its place. next time we go ashore, we take the full jug in a grocery sack, and empty it into a toilet, or dump it in the woods. It IS sterile, after all.)
At $500,it is hard to beat the price of the rig, and frankly, I don't care where the nearest pump out is, how much it costs, etc. When the fiber/poop mixture seems hard to turn, the contents are emptied into an ordinary 5-gallon bucket, which is ventilated, where further drying takes place. Composted? Not really, I suppose. but dried into an entirely odorless lumpy mix that can be tied up in a plastic bag and chucked, less offensively than cat litter or used Pampers. Or a permanent lid can be fastened on it, and chucked, and by the time THAT decomposes, the contents will be the least of our problems. As for me, I plan to start a long-term compost bin not too far from our dock, well hidden by azaleas, which should be happy to have it.
It is easy, needs no nasty chemicals, no emergency 'unauthorized-deposits'-caused tear-downs, and has, so far, no odor at all. No bugs, either. I may have to eat my words some hot summer day, but that day hasn't come yet.
Old 01-10-2013

amelia is on a distinguished road

One surprise was that TP seems to float on the surface of the COIR/peat, rather than being drawn down into the mixture. We deal with that by letting it dry and from time to time, plucking it out, putting it into a plastic bag, and chucking it with the rest of the garbage. It hasn't been a problem the way a sewage-soaked plastic hose would be to me, or repairing a jammed mascerator would be.

The other thing that takes some getting used to, at least for male mariners, is that EVERYBODY sits to use this thing. If they don't, ain't NObody gonna be happy with the soggy results. So, deal with it, friend. Cooperate or head for the lee rail.
Old 01-10-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia View Post
One surprise was that TP seems to float on the surface of the COIR/peat, rather than being drawn down into the mixture. We deal with that by letting it dry and from time to time, plucking it out, putting it into a plastic bag, and chucking it with the rest of the garbage. It hasn't been a problem the way a sewage-soaked plastic hose would be to me, or repairing a jammed mascerator would be.

The other thing that takes some getting used to, at least for male mariners, is that EVERYBODY sits to use this thing. If they don't, ain't NObody gonna be happy with the soggy results. So, deal with it, friend. Cooperate or head for the lee rail.
Sitting is sort of essential on my boat regardless.....but I use a DELO oil jug for that anyway.
Old 01-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia View Post
.....or dump it in the woods. It IS sterile, after all......
If that logic works then just dump it overboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.