SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Composting Head? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/54602-composting-head.html)

saltyoldman 05-23-2009 12:37 PM

Composting Head?

I have read a blog or two about people installing composting heads on their boats. But I have yet to read how the new owners feel about composting heads after having them installed for several years.

Anyone have experience that they would be willing to share?

Sailormann 05-24-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

. But I have yet to read how the new owners feel about composting heads after having them installed for several years.
Well...guess that might be your first clue as to the success of the venture :)

wolfenzee 12-16-2012 05:46 PM

Re: Composting Head?

On land composting toilets are another expensive "green gadget"
But they actually make sense on boats (one of the few marine things that are significantly cheaper than the land version).
I have an "Air Head" sitting in my forward cabin ready to install.

Minnewaska 12-16-2012 06:23 PM

I've read both stories. Some love them to the point that they preach the benefits from every hilltop. There are also some that rip them out the first chance they get.

For me, I'm not going there. Too hard for guests to understand and I'm not explaining it....... squat there and turd on the last user's load, then turn the handle to mix it all together. Right......

wolfenzee 12-16-2012 08:26 PM

Composting heads are alot less complicated than a marine toilet.
No valves to remember the order of etc

Minnewaska 12-17-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfenzee (Post 962667)
Composting heads are alot less complicated than a marine toilet.
No valves to remember the order of etc

Not an electric one. A guest only needs to press the flush button until the bowl is empty. While you should chase it with a clean bowl of water to purge the waste lines, that can be done after they leave, if necessary. A vacuflush is even easier.

wolfenzee 12-17-2012 02:14 PM

Though you are relying on your electrical system working and tapping into your fresh water supply. If you have a big enough boat (and bank account) stuffed full of gadgets and gizmos requiring a larger power source and a high capacity water maker, it would work until something breaks down. A composting head uses a small amount of power for the 12v fan, which can be supplied by an independent solar charged battery. I am a poor sailor on a small boat, a composting head takes up very little space

Minnewaska 12-17-2012 03:49 PM

I'm not saying composting toilets are bad. I only find myself refuting the extreme points that their advocates usually make about them. Less complicated, no odor, easier to use, etc.

Now we are moving to the amount of power usage. Sure, my toilets use more electrical power. But the composting head won't compost properly or remain odor free with zero, like a hand pump.

My only point is, there is no perfect solution, and it only seems to be the composting head advocates that insist there is.

To those that like them, more power to you.

CrazyRu 12-17-2012 08:39 PM

2.5 years with composting head. No way I'll go back.
I don't switch electric fan on unless there are many guests on board. I run vent hose into my mizzen mast. Natural draft works pretty well.

Minnewaska 12-17-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRu (Post 963273)
....I don't switch electric fan on unless there are many guests on board.....

I'll bite. How come and why not while you're aboard alone?